Have you ever stepped on the scale in the morning and noticed you've lost a pound or two overnight?  Chances are, the weight loss didn't come from muscle or fat, (I know, it's tragic) but instead, water a.k.a water weight. 

Water happens to make up about 50-60% of our weight, but when our bodies retain too much of it, it can add excess pounds (aka water weight).  If you're a water weight victim (which a lot of people are) you've probably experienced bloating and weight gain. So, if you're tired of walking around feeling like a pregnant woman, (males included), here are some tips on how to get rid of water weight.

1. Drink More Water

Photo by Autri Taheri | Unsplash

ataheri on unsplash

This may sound counterproductive, but it actually works. Staying hydrated allows for your body to release water instead of retain it.  When your body isn't getting enough fluids, it goes into protective mode (like you're on the show Survivor), and holds onto any water you may need to use in the future.

To avoid this is actually quite simple: drink enough water during the day. Oh, and keep in mind that the amount you need probably isn't 8 glasses.

2. Exercise Regularly

grass, pasture
Katherine Baker

No, you don't have to be a fitness guru to do this. Exercising regularly can consist of a 20 minute walk around town, or a 15 minute workout video. By making exercise part of your daily routine you are creating better circulation in your body, thus retaining less fluids.

3. Reduce Salt Intake

sweet, chips
Gabby Phi

For us salt lovers, this might be the hardest step. Because salt has sodium and too much sodium can lead to water retention, we're going to have to ditch our salty chips and trade them in for something more nutritious. Our bodies can only handle about 1,500 mg of salt a day and any more can lead to the infamous gain of water weight. Don't worry friends, we're in this together. 

4. Sleep

Platzkart, by Kalegin Michail | Unsplash

kalegin on unsplash

Sleeping is one of my favorite things in the world, so this is great news. It is recommended that adults get 6-10 hours of sleep per night in order to refuel and renew the body. Even though this may seem impossible at times, try your best to accomplish it. In doing so, your kidneys will help keep your water and sodium balance in check, so that excess water will leave your system.

5. Make Potassium Part Of Your Diet

banana, vegetable

There's nothing like a diuretic to keep that water weight off. For those of you who don't know, diuretics are used to make you pee more and can come in a pill form. Fortunately, you don't have to take a drug to get your daily diuretic intake. Foods that are high in potassium, like avocados, oranges, bananas and yogurt, are all-natural diuretics and it looks like it's time for you to head over to your local grocery store. 

6. Eat Well

bread, lettuce, sandwich, tomato, vegetable, meat, salad, chicken
Abigail Wilkins

Besides the diuretic foods mentioned earlier, eating a balanced diet can overall decrease your water weight. Through choosing low-fat dairy products, whole grains, vegetables, fruit and lean meats, you will be combating any excess water from staying in your body. Can I get a hell yes?

7. Take Time For Yourself

Photo by Josh Applegate | Unsplash

joshapplegate on unsplash

Stress can really beat up your body, so it should be no surprise that water weight can increase the more stressed you are. This is because of the hormone, cortisol. Cortisol can cause you to overeat and rely on junk food. Junk food typically has high salt and fat contents, so they definitely do not help when it comes to water weight. So, make sure you're taking time out of your day to relax and unwind from daily stresses.

This whole "how to get rid of water weight" thing may not be easy, but it's definitely worth it (ahem, bathing suit season). Maybe even grab a couple friends and try out these tips together. You never know, it might actually be fun