My family loves s'mores, and every Thursday night during the summer we build a bonfire on the beach to see who roasts the perfect marshmallow (usually it's me). Sometimes, however, Mother Nature gets in the way and we're not able to roast marshmallows. After many rained out bonfires, we've discovered a few easy methods for making indoor s'mores. For those times when campfires aren't an option, try making s'mores with one of these hacks.

In the Microwave 

This is probably the most well-known way in which to make indoor s'mores, probably because of the simplicity and the speed. All you need to do is grab a graham cracker and a piece of chocolate and put them on a microwave-safe plate. Then, put your marshmallow on top of the chocolate and graham cracker and put them in the microwave for 15-20 seconds.

Watch as the marshmallow blows up and becomes three times its size before quickly deflating just as its time in the microwave ends. When the marshmallow is done, take it out of the microwave and top it with your second graham cracker for the finishing touch. Be careful with these, though, because the marshmallow starts to turn rubbery after being in the microwave if you wait too long to eat it.

In the Oven 

There are a few different ways to make indoor s'mores using your oven. The first way is to bake them in the oven. Take a cookie sheet and line it with foil. Then fill it with rows of graham crackers with a piece of chocolate on top. Next, top each square of chocolate with a marshmallow and put the tray in the oven on the broil setting. Keep them in the oven until the marshmallows are roasted, but be careful to watch them because this will happen quickly.

S'mores Skillet

A s'mores skillet is simple and easy to make, and is much like making regular s'mores in the oven. To make this, pour chocolate chips into an oven-safe skillet or pan. Then cover the chocolate with marshmallows. Throw it in the oven until the marshmallows are golden brown, then serve with graham crackers on the side for dipping.

Sterno S'mores

The next time you make indoor s'mores it could be as easy as lighting a sterno and whipping out some skewers and marshmallows. This method is great for making an indoor s'mores bar for a party or even a wedding. 

Making s'mores this way does take a little longer because the flame is quite small, but it's definitely worth the wait. It should also be noted that this should be done under supervision (if younger children are present) because there's a real flame being used.

#SpoonTip: You can find a sterno flame at most grocery stores, Target, Walmart, and even on Amazon

Flameless S'mores

If using the real flame of a sterno makes you nervous, you can use something called the "Indoor Flameless Marshmallow Roaster." This contraption is a stainless steel electric heater that produces heat to roast a marshmallow indoors without the use of a flame. It also comes with a perfect tray around it that's tailor-made to hold all your ingredients for the perfect s'mores

If you don't want to deal with how messy and sticky s'mores can be, there are plenty of s'mores-inspired recipes that give you that same great taste without the mess of real s'mores. Some of these s'mores recipes include: s'mores skewers (chocolate-covered marshmallows rolled in crushed graham crackers), s'mores in a jar (chocolate ganache with a graham cracker crust and marshmallow fluff), s'mores trail mix (mini marshmallows, chocolate chips, and Teddy Grahams), and s'mores brownies

Whether you're making indoor s'mores or a s'mores-inspired recipe, you can't go wrong with the classic combo of graham crackers, chocolate, and marshmallows. While there are many different options on this list, this is not even close to all the ways in which you can jazz up s'mores or make them away from a campfire.