Everyone’s had the classic banana split sundae or the beloved hot fudge sundae. However, with more ice cream flavors popping up left and right, the door has been opened for new tastebud-defying combinations. If you’re looking to expand your palate, here’s a guide to creating a crazy blend of delectable—if unorthodox—flavors.

Step 1:

It’s important to decide your medium of consumption right off the bat. If you’re using a bowl or a cup, you’ll have more room for ice cream, meaning you can have more scoops and flavor combinations. If you’re using a cone, you’ll have to determine which variety you want your creation in.

This is the first opportunity to step outside the box of normalcy and try something new, such as a chocolate dipped cone with almonds.

Step 2:

Now, start with your base. Chocolate, vanilla, and strawberry are tried and true; however, starting with an uncommon favor can set the tone for your new sundae creation. If you’re feeling adventurous, try an ice cream that’s unique to the parlor. If you normally go for something sweet and creamy, branch out and look for one with a fruity taste like blueberry or peach.

Ice cream based off of other desserts can also be an interesting experiment, such as blackberry cobbler or tiramisu.

Another potential branch of possibilities would be to use sorbets or frozen yogurts. The differences in dairy free or cultured milk vs heavy cream can add a unique texture to a typically creamy and rich dessert. Sorbets and yogurts also tend to have more fruit flavors, making it easier to step outside your comfort zone in regards to bases.

freezer, flavors, ice cream
Dorothy Berger

Step 3:

The next step, arguably the most crucial, is to choose your toppings.

These are dependent on the base you’ve chosen and require careful consideration. If you’ve chosen a fruit ice cream, yogurt, or sorbet, consider adding yogurt chips or fruity pebbles to your sundae. Both will provide a satisfactory crunch with a mild flavor that won’t overpower your main flavors.

However, if you really want to go bold, pick the craziest topping you can find; for example, a strawberry cheesecake ice cream with caramel corn on top creates a delicious combination of sweet and salty, with just the right amount of crunch. Don’t believe me? Try it out for yourself!

Another possibility, if it’s available, is to sprinkle some sea salt on your ice cream. This works best with some sort of chocolate base, since it really brings out the undertones of the base.

The last option consists of picking your drizzles and the finishing touches. Fruity drizzles, like raspberry, really shine here because they have the opportunity to add a little tartness to your likely sugar-filled concoction.

Peanut butter, while not technically a drizzle, can also add a truly unique taste and texture to your almost-finalized sundae. Maple syrup, similarly, can add additional sweetness with mild undertones to really make the flavors in your sundae pop. Along those lines, honey and agave nectar can have a similar effect.

Step 4:

Last (but not least) comes the classic whipped cream and maraschino cherry to top it all off. After all, why mess with perfection?

Step 5:

Now that you’ve created a mouth-watering dessert, make sure to snap a picture to make all your friends and family jealous of your creativity (and your delicious confectionary)!