When alcohol, stress, and lack of sleep finally catch up with you and you just want to hide your face from the world, turn to food. I’m not talking about the pint of ice cream in the freezer — you can use food to get rid of some of your skin woes. That’s right, instead of running to the nearest drugstore, run to your pantry or fridge instead. Natural beauty remedies are just a trip to the kitchen away. Here are five recipes that correct blemishes, whiten your teeth, make your hair shine and more. 

1. Egg Yolk Hair Mask

soup, dairy product
Kirby Barth

This may sound crazy, but egg yolk is insanely good for your hair. Yolk makes your hair softer and shinier. According to Janice Cox, author of "Natural Beauty at Home," who talked to Woman's Day explained that the yolk is full of fats and proteins that help moisturize the hair, while the egg white contains bacteria-eating enzymes that wash away unwanted oils. 

2 egg yolks

2 tablespoons olive oil

½ cup water

1. Mix egg yolks with olive oil.

2. Dilute the mixture with water.

3. Massage the resulting mask into your scalp.

4. Let rest for 20-25 minutes then rinse.

2. Strawberry-Baking Soda Teeth Whitening

juice, sweet, lemon
Kirby Barth

Put down your Crest strips and listen up. The all natural strawberry-baking soda teeth whitening mask is both cheaper and safer than whitening strips. Strawberries contain malic acid, which acts as an astringent to remove surface discoloration on your teeth.

3 parts baking soda

1 part smashed strawberries

1 part lemon juice

1. Mix together baking soda, strawberries and lemon juice.

2. Use a soft toothbrush to brush the paste onto teeth. Store extra mixture in refrigerator.

3. Baking Soda Acne Mask

lemon, oil, egg
Kirby Barth

Breaking out from stress and late night eating? Grab some honey, baking soda and a few friends to improve blemishes. Baking soda has mild anti-inflammatory and antiseptic properties that enable it to lessen the irritation caused by acne inflammation. Baking soda’s individual particles also act as an exfoliate.

1 tablespoon baking soda

1 ½ tablespoons honey

1. Mix baking soda and honey together to form a mask.

2. Apply evenly to face.

3. Let sit for 10 minutes then wash off with warm water.

4. Tea for Puffy Eyes

beer, tea
Kirby Barth

Can’t shake those puffy eyes from your last all-nighter? No one needs to know. Try this quick fix before class. The natural tannins and caffeine will constrict the skin tissue under your eyes, deflating the remaining puffiness.

2 caffeinated tea bags (try green tea or black tea)

1. Put green tea bags in cold water for 3 minutes.

2. Squeeze out excess water.

3. Rest tea bags over closed eyelids for 12 minutes.

5. Body Exfoliate

cream, sweet, lemon
Kirby Barth

Looking for an easy way to get smoother skin? With just 2 ingredients, you can see a difference in minutes. Sugar is a great exfoliant because the small granules are gentle, and its considered a natural humectant, which draws moisture into the skin. 

1 part sugar

1 ½ parts olive oil

1. Apply the body scrub to wet skin.

2. Gently massage the scrub in desired areas.

3. Rinse with warm water.

All of these recipes can be made with just a few ingredients you have either in the fridge or your pantry. And I promise, using these natural beauty remedies is much cheaper than a trip to Sephora.