Canned foods are a blessing for college students on a low budget, especially the type that can almost never finish fresh produce before it starts getting moldy (guilty). That's where canned chickpeas come in. Perishable, full of protein, fiber, and other vitamins and minerals, chickpeas are super versatile and can be used in a variety of different dishes. Here are some bomb vegetarian chickpea recipes, along with other ingredients, that are easy enough for anyone to make and are extremely delicious. 

Roasted Chickpeas

garbanzo, pea, pasture, chickpeas, meat, cereal, vegetable, legume
Kirby Barth

The easiest and most classic thing to do with a can of chickpeas is roast them along with your desired mix of spices and seasonings. Depending on what seasonings you add to them, you can make them spicy, sweet, salty, or anything in between. Enjoy them as a side for a hearty meal, or as a satisfying alternative to your usual afternoon potato chip snack.

Chickpea Burgers

vegetable, meat, cheese, tomato, sandwich, bread, lettuce
Matt Volpe

For all you vegetarians out there, chickpeas are a great substitute for meat in your favorite burger recipe. Chickpeas are also way cheaper than beef, making this meal low-cost, quick, and super healthy. 

Red Wine Chickpea Stir Fry

Shalayne Pulia

This recipe is a lifesaver for college students on a budget craving Mediterranean food. It incorporates ramen (a staple dorm item), fresh arugula, olives, and a fine red wine. So, if you're not 21, you're gonna need an older cooking buddy. The result is a hearty meal full of a delicious mix of different textures and flavors that'll make for a great dish to eat with your boo on date night.  

Chickpea Salad

cereal, wheat, toast, bread
Casey Britton

Chicken salad is great and all, but this chickpea salad is a delicious substitute that's extremely flavorful and easy to make. It's chunky consistency is perfect to go in between two slices of your favorite bread for an on-the-go lunch, or atop crackers for a filling snack. 

Apple Chickpea Hash 

meat, tomato, onion, pepper, parsley, vegetable
Kendra Valkema

Speaking of chickpeas' versatility, in this recipe they're used in place of potatoes to make a healthy, appetizing breakfast to start off your day. This dish also incorporates kale and apples, making it a wholesome meal with plenty of necessary vitamins and minerals. 

Chickpea Curry

corn, parsley, vegetable, rice, risotto
Kevin Kiefer

When takeout isn't an option (or isn't in the budget), this chickpea curry with rice is a great substitute. It comes together in just 30 minutes, which is probably faster than getting takeout anyway, and results in a bold, flavorful dish that'll surely become your new addiction. 

Chickpea Cookies

candy, sweet, chocolate
Samantha Sontag

Yup, you read that right, chickpeas can indeed be made into cookies. While they definitely will never replace a classic cookie, these are a good alternative dessert for when you're trying to eat healthier. Additionally, they pack in some extra protein and fiber, and are made with only natural sugars. Don't knock it till you try it. 

Roasted Cauliflower and Chickpea Tacos

fish, chicken
Chloe Paglia

Amp up your next Taco Tuesday with these tacos. They're stuffed with roasted cauliflower and chickpeas and covered in a delicious seasoning that'll make you forget you're not eating meat. Top them with a creamy slaw and/or your favorite taco toppings to impress all your guests. 

Chickpea Tabbouleh Salad

tomato, parsley, salad, corn, onion, pepper, vegetable
Liz Joyce

You could get one of those premade salads with wilted lettuce and not-so-great for you toppings, or you could make this tabbouleh salad that's packed with protein, fresh herbs, and loads of flavor. Everything comes together in one bowl and is easy to take in some Tupperware to work or class. This is what it feels like to ball (healthy) on a budget. 

Chocolate-Dipped Cookie Dough Bites

hash, candy, water, shellfish, chocolate, sweet
Daniela Childers

These babies are about to become your new favorite health(ier) guilty pleasure. Chickpeas are blended together with almond butter, oats, vanilla, spices, and other ingredients to form a base dough that's vegan and gluten-free. You can then add chocolate chips, dried fruit, or anything else you desire. After covering in chocolate, you won't be able to eat just one of these sweet treats.

Chickpea, Sweet Potato and Apple Farro Salad

legume, corn, rice, parsley, pepper, vegetable
Katherine Baker

Farro is the up and coming superfood that's a great substitute for quinoa. It provides a filling, fiber-filled base to this flavorful salad filled with sweet potatoes, apples, arugula, and of course, chickpeas. It's a great way to use fresh seasonal veggies in an easy lunch that you'll be looking forward to all morning.  

A can of chickpeas can go a long way. Chickpeas are packed with fiber (a cup of cooked chickpeas has 12.5 grams), so they'll be sure to leave you full and satisfied. They're also clearly versatile, so whether you're craving something sweet or salty in a snack or a full meal, there's a vegetarian chickpea recipe for you.