As college kids, there is every opportunity for us to consume pounds and pounds of our favorite foods with no one to tell us we've had enough. Even if you don't gain a pound, you might be feeling those countless slices of pizza on a whole different level ten years down the road. How could your favorite food affect your future?

Chronic disease is very prevalent globally. It represents 60% of all deaths in the world. Chronic disease is defined as a disease that lasts for more than three months. Lifestyle and diet choices can greatly affect your risk of developing a chronic disease. Eating what you love is not bad, but depending on what it is that you love, eating it for every meal might have a negative affect on your quality of life in the future. 

Cake, Potatoes and French Fries

cake, candy, chocolate
Constance Connolly

Excess sugar, starches and fats can lead to obesity, according to the World Health Organization. Also, being obese or overweight can put you at higher risk for many other chronic diseases, including heart disease and diabetes. Excess sugar can put you at risk for Type 2 diabetes, which will also increase your risk for other chronic diseases. 

Burgers, Butter and Anything Fried

cheese, hamburger, tomato, beef, meat, lettuce, sandwich, bread, bun
Elyse Belarge

Eating foods with saturated fat, trans fat and sodium increase your risk of heart disease. Saturated fats are found in cheese, meat, butter and some oil. Well, there goes pizza, burgers and even ice cream.

Trans fats are found in doughnuts, microwave popcorn, margarine and fried foods (from the oils). Sodium is salt, found in a lot of things, especially processed foods like lunch meat, soup, Cheese Whiz and pretty much anything you can buy in a package.

Alcohol

tequila, ice, vodka, strawberry, lime, watermelon, juice, cocktail
Lauren Kaplan

There are many negative affects of alcohol on body, but I'll keep it simple. Alcohol consumption can increase your risk of certain cancers. But, red wine every once in a while might decrease risk of heart disease.

Chocolate Milk, Fro-Yo and Cheese

ice, candy, caramel, dairy product, yogurt, frozen yogurt, sweet, chocolate, milk, cream
Katie Zizmor

These may not be the healthiest choices, but on the bright side, they get you that calcium you need. If you don't eat enough, your body will just steal some from your bones and a few years down the road, you'll be left with brittle bones. This chronic disease is osteoporosis. Eat some fro-yo while soaking up some sun and you'll really be doing your bones some good. 

We eat one hour a day on average; that is seven hours a week, 28 hours a month, and 336 hours a year. So, in my opinion, it's important to at least love some of the food we eat. With that, I like having an idea of the way food affects my body, my attitude and what I am capable of doing. Chronic disease affects all three of those. Although I may not be able to completely avoid this by healthy eating with the occasional nacho break, I know it will greatly decrease my risk.