We live in a world where there is no longer just skim, 2%, half & half, and whole milk. For millennials, those were not enough options. Now we are surrounded by non-dairy milk substitutes, almond milk being one of the most popular. However, a new superstar has hit the scene: oat milk.

Oat milk has been on my radar for a while now. My Instagram feed was buzzing with Instagram models posing with their oat milk lattes in California coffee shops. Like every other trend, I wanted to make sure I was in the loop. I decided to do some research and found out that only one coffee shop in my area had oat milk. However, every time I went they were out of stock. Clearly, oat milk was not a hidden secret, but what about it made it so crave-worthy? Why was it flying off the shelves? I needed to know.

An Oatventure

On a ‘treat yourself’ kind of day, I made the executive decision to splurge on an Uber ride to Whole Foods to pick up my very own carton. The roads were slippery with ice and honestly, it was probably not one of my safest decisions. Yet, I was so eager to go home and break the seal to see what all of the hype was about that I was willing to take the risk.

Was it worth it?

The verdict: oat milk may as well be the eighth wonder of the world. For those who dislike almond milk, most of the complaints are about its watery consistency and bland taste. Luckily, oat milk is almond milk’s hotter sister. Unlike almond milk, it doesn’t need added sugars to brighten up the taste. Oats themselves are more grassy than sweet. Yet, when they are soaked in water, blended, and then strained, the result is nectarous.

Not only is oat milk naturally sweeter, but it is also substantially creamier. Since the oats absorb the water better than almonds, the milk contains much more of the actual oat, so the finished product has a thicker consistency.

Unlike almond milk where the taste is watered down, you truly taste the full body of the oat. Think oatmeal with brown sugar or an oatmeal cinnamon raisin cookie.

This praise means a lot coming from me. I never thought almond milk would ever be replaced, but oat milk is a temptress. It’s perfect for splashing into your coffee, dipping cookies in, or even just sipping. If you haven’t already, I could not recommend it more. I encourage you to try it for yourself and see exactly why it is quickly becoming a trend.