In 2017, social media and other health and wellness platforms raved about the anti-inflammatory benefits of turmeric. People with all different kinds of ailments turned to this golden spice for assistance. Whether you were bloated, suffering from allergies, or were in need of a little aid in recovering from an injury, turmeric had your back.

Now that 2017 is in the past and the year 2018 is among us, it’s out with the old and in with the new. While we sure do love this healing spice, we are on to bigger and better things in 2018. Introducing the superfood trend of 2018: moringa oleifera.

Moringa oleifera is a nutrient-rich tree that is native to India and is commonly grown in tropical climates. It is known to ancient cultures as the “tree of life” and “miracle tree” due to its impressive nutritional profile and long list of medicinal benefits.

All parts of the tree are safe for consumption, but the leaf is most commonly used. The leaves of the tree are harvested, dried up and then crushed.The final product is a powder similar in taste to matcha. It and can be enjoyed in the form of tea, powder, or capsule

Moringa oleifera is loaded with nutrients which produce an abundance of powerful health benefits. This super-green has an impressive nutritional profile, is more nutrient dense than kale and blows goji berries away with its antioxidant levels.

In a gram per gram comparison, moringa oleifera contains seven times as much vitamin C as an orange, four times as much calcium as milk, three times as much potassium as a banana, and three times as much iron as spinach. The leaves also contain all 9 of the essential amino acids, and are considered a complete protein. 

The high concentration of vitamins and minerals in moringa oleifera makes a great natural remedy for a wide range of conditions, Proving more effective than than taking a synthetic supplement. It contains vitamins A and E which are beneficial for healthy skin, calcium for digestion, and antioxidants that boost the immune system. Moringa oleifera is also a rich source of B vitamins and iron, both of which provide energy and help to reduce feelings of tiredness and fatigue.

The anti-inflammatory effects of moringa oleifera work by suppressing inflammatory proteins and enzymes in the body. Moringa oleifera is a more potent anti-inflammatory than turmeric, because it can be absorbed by the body more easily. As opposed to turmeric, it can also be absorbed on its own.

Evidence based research has backed up moringa oleifera’s health benefits. Moringa oleifera is a potent anti-inflammatory that is rich in antioxidants. It is effective in balancing hormones and boosting mood. It has anti-aging effects, improves digestive health, balances blood sugar levels, and reduces cholesterol levels.

The properties of moringa oliefera make it effective in treating anemia, bacterial and viral infections, high blood pressure, gastro intestinal distress, constipation, asthma, arthritis, and inflammatory diseases.

Now that you know about the benefits of moringa oleifera, make 2018 the healthiest year yet by incorporating this superfood into a balanced diet. Make moringa oleifera your daily green habit by starting your day off with a cup of moringa tea, taking an herbal capsule, or adding some moringa and greens protein powder into a smoothie.