I had never been a fan of kale. I have always found it too fibrous and did not enjoy the taste. Recently I tried the Spicy Avocado and Lime Kale Bowl at B.Good in Toronto and it completely changed my feelings toward kale. So now that I am back at school, I decided to try and recreate their salad with a few modifications. If you love Mexican food and avocados this salad is for you. Even if you're a kale 'sceptic', this pepper zucchini kale avocado salad will not disappoint!

Talia Moretti

Prep Time: 10 minutes

Cook Time: 30 minutes

Total Time: 40 minutes

Servings: 1

1/3 of a bunch of kale

1/4 cup lemon or lime juice

1 teaspoon olive, avocado, or vegetable oil (divided)

1/2 of a pepper

1 small zucchini

1/3 cup cooked black beans

1/2 of a tomato

1/2 of an avocado

1/8 to 1/2 teaspoon sriracha (depending how tough your tastebuds are)

1/8 teaspoon garlic  powder

1/2 teaspoon cumin

1/4 teaspoon paprika

Dash of oregano

3 tablespoons tomato purée

Steps:

1) Wash the kale, then chop off the stalks, and slice the leaves into smaller pieces.

Talia Moretti

2) Put the chopped kale into a medium bowl and pour the 1/4 cup lime or lemon juice over it, then add 1/2 teaspoon of oil. Toss these and set aside to let kale marinate. 

3) Place a medium frypan over medium heat and drizzle the other half teaspoon of oil into the pan. Meanwhile dice half a pepper and the zucchini.

4) Once the frypan is heated add the zucchini and pepper. Sauté the vegetables until they're browned, then remove from the heat and set aside.

5) Place the tomato puree, spices, sriracha, and half of the sautéed peppers in a blender or food processor, mix until smooth. If too thick add 1-2 tablespoons of water.

avocado, guacamole, vegetable
Rebecca Holstein

6) Now slice the avocado and tomato in half, then slice into smaller pieces.

7) Add the black beans, sautéed zucchini and pepper, avocado, and tomato to the salad. Then top the salad with the dressing, toss and enjoy!

Talia Moretti