Recently, I went to an essesntial oils class that taught the uses of oils for emotional therapy, and it opened up a whole new world for me. It was unbelievable what simple oils could do for a person. There is an oil for just about every part of life that you can think of, and I am going to share some of these remedies with you. You can use essential oils in is 3 different ways: the first is through a diffuser that puts the oil into the air, the second is through topical application to the skin, and the third is internally (you can put drops in water or onto your tongue). The important thing about oils is finding what is best for you. Everyone is different, so not everything will work, but once you find that special oil, be prepared to be amazed. 

1. Sleep

lavender, grass, herb
Nicolle Ho

Sleep is incredibly important for our health. If we do not get a sufficient amount of sleep, it affects our daily routine and overall health. Essential oils are a natural way to make falling and staying asleep easier. Lavender and Vetiver are the best for promoting the best sleep possible. Both create tranquility by making a calm and relaxing environment. If you have been having difficulty falling asleep in the midst of your busy days, try out these oils for the best sleep.

2. Focus and Concentration

chocolate, candy, sweet, cookie, cinnamon
Natalie Rodriguez

I think this is one of the most helpful uses of oils because it is so hard to concentrate in today's world with the constant distractions of technology. It is especially hard as a student to concentrate in a busy library with people bustling around. Ginger, Cinnamon, and Spearmint are all oils that can be used as a stimulant, so they are best for this use. 

3. Sickness

relish, vegetable, herb, mint
Ellen Gibbs

Sickness is miserable and it slows down our daily lives. There are so many oils used for sickness, but some of the best ones to use are Peppermint, Eucalyptus, and Rosemary. All three of these oils work well as anti-inflammatories. Sore throat, stuffy nose, congestion, and sinus infections can all be helped with these oils. 

4. Emotional Well-being

rose

Our sense of smell has a large influence over our brain processes, which means that it is powerful when helping our thoughts and feelings. There are an overwhelming amount of oils for different emotional problems, which are included within the categories of balance, positivity, and negativity. For balance in emotion, one of the best oils to use is Rose. Use Lime or Lemon to bring a boost of positivity. If you are feeling negative, use Frankincense or Sandalwood. There are so many more oils that help different emotional states, but some of these can cure the little bouts of emotional instability.

5. Stress

lemon, tangerine, juice, citrus
Amelia Hitchens

Stress is a common evil in everyone's life at some point, and it is important to handle it well so it doesn't linger for too long. For me, college is a great and fun time, but I can't have that fun without the stress of classes, work, and extracurriculars accompanying it. When we become stressed, physiological changes begin to occur that are not good for our overall health. Some of the best oils used for stress are Roman Chamomile, Lavender, Tangerine, and Grapefruit. Both Roman Chamomile and Lavender are relaxing oils that reduce stress through calming. Tangerine and Grapefruit are uplifting oils that will regenerate a positive and motivated mentality needed to work out of the stress. With a mix of these oils, stress will disappear and motivation will take over.

You can change your daily life with the use of just a few drops of these essential oils. Explore and experiment with which ones work for you and give the desired benefits. With the numerous uses oils can potentially provide, there is bound to be one perfect for you!