Hot sauce is easily the most underrated condiment. While I'm not one to hate on classic ketchup and mustard, I truly believe that hot sauce is underutilized. Not only does it make even the most bland foods taste amazing, but also it is chock full of capsaicin, the main component of peppers, which has many health benefits.

Even if you don’t like spicy things, there are less spicy hot sauces that can still add enticing flavors to your food and make you a healthier person. Here's seven surprising health benefits of hot sauce that prove it should be your new go-to condiment. 

1. It may reduce your risk of developing Type 2 Diabetes

condiment, ice, juice, soda, wine, liquor, alcohol, beer
Emmrick McCadden

Hot sauce that contains capsaicin has been shown to help prevent hyperinsulinemia, a condition where your body has excess insulin levels. Too much insulin in your blood often leads to Type 2 Diabetes. One study found that participants who consumed a meal containing capsaicin had more normalized insulin levels than those who ate a meal without it.

2. It helps maintain your weight

Hot sauce has been shown to prevent obesity and help people to maintain healthy weights. It reduces levels of ghrelin, a hormone that triggers hunger, and it raises levels of an appetite-suppressing hormone called GLP-1, which will help prevent you from overeating.

3. It's filled with antioxidants and vitamins

tea, jam, juice
Maris Altieri

Not only does a dash of hot sauce add an extra kick to your food, but also it boosts your meal's nutritional value with a kick of Vitamin A and C, folate, magnesium, and potassium.

4. It may help ward off some cancers and help you live longer

Medics at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center found that capsaicin slows the growth of cancer cells. Additionally, this Harvard Study found that out of half a million Chinese adults, those who ate spicy food three or more times a week had a reduced risk of death by 14%, compared to those who didn’t.

5. It can clear up a cold

Feeling under the weather? The spiciness of hot sauce can help clear up your sinuses and make your cold more manageable.

6. It reduces inflammation and improves digestion

The spiciness can help stimulate stomach secretions, which aid your digestion. This study found that capsaicin also has an anti-inflammatory property.

7. It makes you happier

When you eat something spicy, your body releases endorphins, which help reduce our perception of pain and stress. So, hot sauce can actually help you be a happier person. What more could you ask for?

wine, liquor, alcohol, beer
Kat Huber

I hope these incredible health benefits are more than enough to convince you to try putting hot sauce on everything you eat, like I do. Of course, moderation is key since some hot sauces, like Sriracha, contain added salt and sugar, so make sure to check out the label before you buy it. Hot sauce can make you a happier, healthier person, so I encourage you to try it out and become a hot sauce lover like me.