Finals week, that magical time of the year when all your friends turn into hermits and you're not sure if you're on your first or fifth cup of coffee. For a lot of us, finals week comes with a lot of stress and agony – but it doesn't have to be that way. Here are seven ways to beat the finals week slump. 

1. Drink Water

juice, ice, soda, milk, water
Alexa Rojek

I know this seems like an obvious one, but even I forget to drink water sometimes. I like to take my reusable water bottle in my backpack everywhere I go to remind myself to stay hydrated. You can't study when you're dehydrated, and coffee doesn't count. There are lots of water bottle stations on campus for you to refill and refuel at. 

#SpoonTip: Try these trendy water infusions if you're feeling creative or if you want to change things up from drinking regular water.

2. Move Your Body

Exercising, working out, motivation, music, exercise, Work Out, gym, hydrate, hydration, Sneakers, water, fitness
Denise Uy

After a long day of being crouched in a library cubicle, nothing feels better than getting to move those muscles.

It doesn't necessarily have to be going and lifting weights at the gym either. I love stretching and doing yoga in my room or going to something more cardio-focused if I'm stressed or anxious. Check your local campus for what classes they offer and perhaps even try something out of your comfort zone.  

3. Practice Self Care

coffee, cake
Emily Genzer

You need to take care of yourself first and foremost before worrying and investing your energy into other things. This is especially evident during exam season. It's never fun to burn yourself out to the point of exhaustion, so make time for yourself! I always like to make time for something fun in my study timetable after a long day of review. It could be something big like going out for dinner with your roommates, or even as small as listening to your favorite song while going for a short walk, or watching a few episodes of Netflix.  The main thing is to give yourself adequate time to unwind and to do something good for you.

4. Eat Good Things

Whole Foods Market, vegetable aisle, watermelon, mango, juice, veggies, Green, lettuce, Vegetables, fruit aisle, cabbage, salad, Organic, organic fruit
Shelby Cohron

I know, it's much easier to order takeout than to cook for yourself during finals week, and I'm not saying to give up the pizza altogether. It's important to fuel yourself for the day with food that will give you energy and leave you feeling full. 

I love bringing a lunch with me to campus, and packing it full of healthy snacks like almonds, fruit, and to-go packs of veggies and dip. Eating well will help you to focus more and to be more productive. 

5. Plan It Out

desk, library, student, College, stickers, studying, Book, Bowl, computer, snacks, crackers, glasses
Megan Japczyk

When you're first looking at your exam timetable and trying to cram in work as well as social commitments, things can seem a little stressful and overwhelming. But not to fear! Try breaking down your subjects into what needs to be studied (the modules, chapters, etc.) and then designate a block of hours for that each day leading up to the exam. Make sure to pencil in your other activities as well. Don't worry if you don't stick to it exactly, you can always go back and modify your schedule.

#SpoonTip: There are some great ideas on Tumblr and Instagram if you follow the tag #studyblr, #studyspo and #studyspread

6. Get Enough Sleep

chocolate, cake, sleep, nap, napping, sleeping, asleep, girl, bed, blanket, pillow

We've all pulled all-nighters before to study for a big test, or to finish an important paper, but sleep is very important. You don't have to go to bed super early, but it is helpful to set a reasonable goal each night of the exam week for when you want to go to sleep and when you want to wake up.

#SpoonTipUsing an app like the Bedtime feature on iPhones will help you by setting what time to go to bed and wake up at. 

Prioritize having good sleep hygiene during exams and during the school year. Having a nightly routine after coming home from campus, work, or the gym is essential. Being able to unplug and relax lets your body know that it is time for rest, and it lets your brain relax and take a break. Especially if you have 8:30am exams, you don't want to be distracted or sleepy. 

7. Connect

beer, coffee, wine
Nicole Korolevich

This, in my opinion, is one of the most important tips. A lot of the time we think we are alone in our stresses but that is not true. During final exam season, we tend to neglect our social ties and prioritize our studying and reading.

Check up on your friends to see if they are eating healthy and doing okay, and make plans to see each other. It could be as easy as getting together at a coffee shop and studying for an exam together, or just taking an hour or two out of your day to go out for lunch. Being with another person makes you feel a lot better - I always benefit from laughing and smiling while I'm with my friends!

It does not have to always be face to face communication either. A lot of university students live away from home, but I find that even a simple phone call or FaceTime with someone I love from back home makes me feel instantly better! Talking it out is even seen as a 'buffer' for stressful situations and helps you to tackle it better.

Integrating these tips into your student life are small but (relatively) easy changes to make sure your body, and your mind, are up to shape for taking on the stress and long days of finals week.

Good luck on all your exams and happy studying.