Jury Duty - it's one of the few things that everyone has to do at some point or another. Most people genuinely don't want to be serving, and you'll constantly hear "I want to go home," but it's easier to get your duty done with and out of the way than to constantly postpone it and complain about it when you're there.

Just because jury duty requires long hours and waking up early doesn't mean that you can skip taking care of yourself. With the help of this article, here's how you can take care of yourself when you're serving.

1. Bring either bottled water or a reusable water bottle with you

water, ice
Jasmine Chan

Sitting in any of the rooms becomes tiring easily. Since the only time that you can go out for food is during your lunch break, having water on hand will give you the tiny boost of energy that you need in order to help you stay focused. Water is also key for staying hydrated.

2. Bring a notepad and pen along for the trial

Nobody will care if you have nothing to write with and you might want to jot things down from time to time for your own sanity. 

3. Don't forget hand sanitizer and lotion 

tea, coffee
Alexis Neely

The surfaces in all of the rooms look gross, so you'll want to sanitize your hands so you don't have to constantly wash them. The purpose of lotion is to keep your hands moisturized during the entire jury duty process. 

4. Have a pack of gum with you

candy, grass, sweet, bubble gum, Gum, Chewing gum, Pink
Julia Gilman

Once when I was in the 8th grade, I was told that chewing gum helps with retention. Remembering things during the entire jury duty process is crucial. Don't fret - just chew gum and you'll be fine. 

5. Bring tissues with you

The court and lawyers won't provide you with tissues if you sneeze, nor will they have sympathy for you if you sneeze. 

6. Don't forget a phone charger or charging case

You technically aren't allowed to use your phone in the court room during the trial or in the paneling room, but while you're waiting to be called, you're going to be bored and will turn to your phone for entertainment. Your phone can die any second and then you'll be screwed. Don't screw yourself for the trip home.

7. Use your lunch break as a chance to collect your thoughts and to clear your mind

water
Anna Healy

Serving on jury duty is a long and tiring process. If you need to clear your mind of any biased thoughts, do it during lunch while you have the chance. When serving, you want to have a clear and focused mind. 

8. Dress comfortably, but not like you just walked off of the street

You'll be at jury duty for 7-8 hours each day. While you may feel a sense of obligation to dress professionally, there are ways to do that without putting yourself in any pain. You don't need to show up in heels or clothes that physically cause you pain for the sake of "looking good." But then again, the last thing you want to do is be disrespectful and not look put together. 

9. Speak your mind precisely and with a filter

apple
Aakanksha Joshi

Everyone at jury duty wants three things: the truth, for you to be precise, and to go home. It's better to state what you're really thinking than to feel like your thoughts and opinions don't matter when they do matter. 

10. If necessary, bring your own toilet paper

The toilet paper in the bathrooms are either nonexistent and or super rough. You can't not use toilet paper in the bathroom for hygiene reasons, but you also want to be comfortable.

11. Bring $5-$10 in singles with you

sweet, money, coins, cash, us dollars, currency
Anna Arteaga

Chances are, there'll be a vending machine somewhere in the court. For any reason, if you feel lightheaded or hungry as you're serving, it's better to have singles to use in the vending machines than to keep trekking on feeling weird. 

12. Bring breath mints and blotting tissues with you if necessary

While this isn't a major deal breaker for some people, if you're the kind of the person that feels naked without either object in their bag with them, then bring them with you. I'd rather you be safe than sorry.

While jury duty is mandatory, that doesn't mean that you shouldn't take care of yourself - especially when it's in regards to your overall wellbeing. Always make sure that you're alright no matter what you're doing.