Flights can be long. With time changes, layovers, and crying babies, it is best to make sure you stay as calm, cool, and collected as possible. How can you ensure this? Pack great food. The snacks offered on an airplane or in airports might not always be the best. Between overly salty snack mixes, cookies, and sugar filled sodas, there are lots of chances to slip into the junk food cycle. That's why I decided to share some of my favorite airplane snacks to avoid getting hangry, while still making smart food choices. Here are some of the best airplane snacks for a hangry-free flight.

1. Fresh Fruit

sweet, Whole Foods Market, Whole Foods, Fruit, mango, orange, kiwi, blueberry, jar of fruit, strawberries, strawberry, grape
Shelby Cohron

Whether it's as simple as an apple, or as glamorous as a tropical fruit salad, fruit is a great way to get some fiber to feel full when your stomach starts to grumble. Fruit also has a high water content, which can help you stay hydrated, which is important for those long flights.

2. Veggies and Dip

vegetable, cucumber, pepper, tomato, salad
Christin Urso

Vegetables, like fruit, have a high water content, which can help decrease any swelling or dehydration that may occur while in flight. They are also jam packed with vitamins and minerals and are low in calories, so you don't need to feel guilty if you like to constantly snack.

3. Homemade Trail Mix

nut, almond, cranberry, raisin
Tiare Brown

Trail mix is great, especially when you make your own. It's versatile, healthy, and downright delicious! It is also so easy to make. Just mix together your favorite nuts, seeds, dried fruit, and, if you'd like, add something sweet like dark chocolate chips or yogurt drops. Trail mix has some of the protein and fiber you need to keep you feeling nice and full.

4. Protein or Snack Bars

candy
Anvita Reddy

Bars like granola bars and protein bars are convenient, easy to pack, and don't require much effort, making them great airplane snacks. However, be careful to check the added sugars and calories in the snack bars. Sometimes a "healthy" granola bar can be full of added sugars and extra calories. 

5. Popcorn

skinny pop, popcorn, eating popcorn, snacks, snacking, apple

Popcorn can provide that salty snack you crave, while still being a healthier alternative to some of the traditional airplane snacks. You can either pop and pack your own, or buy pre-popped popcorn like Skinny Pop. Those are great because they are pre-portioned and ready to grab and go. They taste great, and are filling while being lower in calories!

6. Sandwich or Wrap

sandwich, bread, lettuce, tomato, cheese, ham, bacon

Sandwiches are always a great option, especially if you will be flying during a meal time. They provide carbohydrates, protein, fats, and vegetables making it the ultimate thing to pack for the airplane. Sandwiches will help you feel full, taste great, and are fresher than buying something packaged at the terminal. 

So there you have it, 6 of the best airplane snacks to make sure that you don't go hungry and so that you can make better food choices. Another important thing about flying is to DRINK WATER! Make sure to stay hydrated and pack plenty of snacks to avoid being temped by the cookies and soda that comes rolling down the aisle. 

If you're interested in some more flying tips, like how to not feel like crap after flying, click here. And if you want to know more about taking food on planes, check out this great Spoon article.