Whether you’re a life long vegan, new to the animal-free lifestyle, or  like Beyoncé, who took on the 22 Days Nutrition vegan challenge — are health conscious and seeking a more sustainable diet, this delicious cake will restore your faith in plant-based eating and give you a guilt-free alternative to unhealthy desserts.

For many people, the idea of removing all animal products from their diet seems dramatic, unnecessary and, honestly, not very tasty. But the reality of veganism is that the alternatives to animal products are literally endless, and far more beneficial to the animals, the planet, and your health.

A plant-based diet challenges you to look at food in a new way, and you’ll soon discover that the possible uses for fruits and vegetables are limitless. Take beets for example. I bet you never thought of putting them in a cake before, but if you learn how to cook beets correctly, the amount of delicious recipes and healthy meals you can create is infinite.

If you’re still not convinced that going vegan is worth the sacrifice, here’s a list of 42 health benefits of going vegan which range from weight loss and glowing skin to disease prevention and relief from symptoms associated with pre-existing health issues.

But don’t take my word for it. Experience this luscious, decadent chocolate vegan cake for yourself, and enjoy the wonders of a delicious and guilt-free diet. The sweet juice and smooth texture of the beets make this cake ridiculously moist.

And sure, the idea of putting vegetables grown in the dirt into a cake doesn’t sound that great, but I swear on Jay-Z’s life that you can’t taste the beets. Just the delicious, moist and chocolatey heaven that is this cake. And since there’s vegetables in it, you can feel good about eating it at all hours of the day, not just for dessert.

This cake will have you drunk in love, especially knowing that no animals were harmed in the making of this flawless dessert.

Vegan Chocolate Beet Cake

• Prep Time:20 minutes
  • Cook Time:1 hour
  • Total Time:1hr 20 minutes
  • Advanced

• 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
  • 1 cup coconut oil
  • 2 cup pureed cooked or canned beets
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 3 flax eggs (or regular eggs if not vegan)
  • 2 cup all purpose flour
  • 2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 2 teaspoon vanilla
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
Photo by Rael Hanus

Preheat oven to 375°F (and preset your playlist with your favorite Queen B songs to set the mood).

Begin by melting the chocolate chips and 1/4 cup coconut oil together in a double boiler or over boiling water.

Photo by Rael Hanus

While your chocolate mixture cools, beat together the sugar and flax eggs (or regular eggs if not vegan) in a large bowl with an electric mixer until well incorporated. Slowly beat in the remaining 3/4 cup coconut oil, beets, chocolate mixture and vanilla.

#SpoonTip: Make sure coconut oil is fully liquified to avoid lumpy batter.

Photo by Rael Hanus

Sift the flour, baking soda, and salt into your beet mixture and gently stir to combine. The beautiful pink batter tastes as delicious as it looks.

Photo by Rael Hanus

Pour your mixture into a greased and floured 10-cup Bundt pan and bake for 1 hour.

#SpoonTip: Check to see if your cake is done cooking by inserting a toothpick into the center and seeing if it comes out clean.

Remove your cake from the oven, let cool, and dust with powdered sugar, drizzle with chocolate syrup, or top with fresh whipped cream for a delicious (and healthy) treat.