Mac and cheese is a college staple. Hell, it’s a life staple. But that also means powdered cheese and noodle mush can get quite boring when you make it on the regular.

Enter: bomb-ass bacon cups.

No, this is not a drill. It’s possible to turn mac ‘n cheese into a spicy sushi roll complete with bacon, Sriracha and goat cheese with a little help from my friend Leo DiCaprio.

Mac 'N Cheese Bacon Cups

• Prep Time:2.5 hours
  • Cook Time:30 minutes
  • Total Time:3 hours

• 2 packages macaroni and cheese
  • 2/3 cup milk
  • 2/3 cup butter
  • 1 package bacon
  • Goat cheese (to taste)
  • Sriracha (to taste)
Photo by Shalayne Pulia

Fry 4 pieces of bacon. Drain, crumble, and set aside. Cook mac ‘n cheese noodles, add in milk, butter and cheese packet. Let chill in fridge for 30 minutes.

Photo by Shalayne Pulia

Slip a magazine into a large ziplock bag and cover with a large strip of plastic wrap.

Photo by Shalayne Pulia

Cover length of magazine with bacon cut in half strips.

Photo by Shalayne Pulia

Cover bacon with thin layer of mac ‘n cheese (leaving some plastic wrap hanging over the edges).

Photo by Shalayne Pulia

Fill with goat cheese and crumbled bacon. Add in Sriracha if desired.

Photo by Shalayne Pulia

Roll like sushi, pressing firmly and making sure to keep the plastic wrap out from the middle of the roll. Freeze for 2 hours.

Photo by Shalayne Pulia

Heat oven to 350°F. Remove plastic wrap and cut into sushi-sized pieces. Make sure bacon is wrapped around entire roll.

Photo by Shalayne Pulia

Fill muffin tin with rolls and bake for 30 minutes or until bacon is fully cooked.

Photo by Shalayne Pulia

Add crumbled goat cheese and Sriracha on top for garnish.

Photo by Shalayne Pulia