Summer is a time where magical things happen. It’s warm, the sun actually shines, people leave the couch and actually do things, and I’m convinced it’s socially acceptable to partake in what I call “grillin ‘n’ chillin” as often as desired. These things are cool, but there are a few things I consider to be even more magical: summer fruits and bacon (duh).

I literally live for nectarines. I am so obsessed I even bought them before they were totally in season to make this recipe because I couldn’t wait any longer. Stone fruits are so incredible because when you sprinkle a little sugar on top and thrown them in the oven (or on the grill!) they completely transform into a high-quality dessert in less than fifteen minutes. Note, this means you can totally use peaches instead of nectarines. This shit’s versatile.

And then I realized, why just have caramelized nectarines when you can have caramelized nectarines with bacon?

Caramelized Nectarines with Bacon

• Prep Time:2 minutes
  • Cook Time:10 minutes
  • Total Time:12 minutes
  • Servings:2-4

• 2 slices bacon
  • 2 nectarines
  • 1/4 cup sugar (I used coconut)

Preheat oven to 500º F.

Slice bacon in half length-wise, so the strip is half as wide, then dice.

In a medium frying pan over medium-low heat, add diced bacon and sauté for about 4 minutes, or until nearly cooked. Do not cook completely.

Remove bacon to a paper towel-lined plate to absorb the grease. Pat the bacon as dry as possible.

Photo by Analiese Trimber

Once dried from the grease, chop bacon into very small pieces. Set aside.

Slice your nectarines in half and remove the pits.

Place in a medium-sized oven-safe pan or dish.

Sprinkle sugar onto nectarines.

Photo by Analiese Trimber

Put in oven for one minute.

Take pan out of the oven, sprinkle bacon onto each nectarine, and top with more sugar (this is the caramelized bacon part!).

Photo by Analiese Trimber

Place back in oven for about 5 minutes or until sugar is melted and bacon is fully cooked.

Photo by Analiese Trimber

Top with ice cream and cry tears of joy.

Photo by Analiese Trimber