In honor of our very first newsletter, we wanted to give you something special and personal from us. (Everything else will be from college students, we swear!) Huddled in our new little apartment in New York, we deliberated over this first post, waited endlessly for our pots and pans to arrive, and ultimately decided that our new NYC life could only be captured in one way: through epic bagel breakfast sandwiches. They had to be mini, of course, because we couldn’t fit regular-sized bagels in our teeny apartment. Kidding, but not really.

mini-slide-ing-1

Photo by Mackenzie Barth

The Desayunito was inspired by Sarah’s Texas roots and her unusually strong love for hot salsa, black beans and cheesy eggs. The Mini Bagelstein reminds us of the instant gratification of breaking the Yom Kippur fast with a bagel piled high with fixings. And Mackenzie just started to like lox, so she wanted to eat them again. Finally, the Richard Simmons slider is our paradoxical attempt to eat fresh, healthy food. Egg whites, tomatoes and spinach are still healthy in between two bagel halves, right?

We hope you enjoy these breakfast bagel sliders as much as we did, and officially, welcome to the new and improved Spoon.

The Desayunito

mini-slider-6

Photo by Sarah Adler

Mini bagel
Eggs
Shredded Mexican cheese
Avocado slices
Black bean spread
Salsa
Corn salsa

mini-slider-17

Photo by Mackenzie Barth

1. In a small pan over the stove, scramble eggs with shredded cheese.
2. Spread salsa and bean dip on each bagel half. Top one half with corn relish.
3. Pile on eggs, avocado slices and top with other bagel half.

The Mini Bagelstein

mini-slider-19

Photo by Mackenzie Barth

Mini bagel
Cream cheese spread
Lox
Tomato, sliced
Red onion, sliced thin

Mini Bagel Breakfast Sliders

Photo by Mackenzie Barth

1. Toast bagel until edges are brown.
2. Spread cream cheese on both halves of the bagel.
3. Layer lox, onion and tomato on one half, and top with other bagel half.

The Richard Simmons

mini-slider-12

Photo by Sarah Adler

Mini bagel
Eggs
Crumbled feta cheese
Spinach
Tomato, sliced
Hummus

mini-slider-18

Photo by Sarah Adler

1. In a small pan over the stove, scramble egg whites and cook with feta.
2. Spread hummus on both bagel halves.
3. Layer one half with spinach, egg whites and tomato slice. Top with other bagel half.