My biggest pet peeve when going to a restaurant is paying an arm and a leg for a mediocre dish that you can make at home. I have been let down one too many times when ordering shrimp scampi and I know that I am not alone. Not only is this recipe simple, but it’s super tasty. Plus, who doesn’t love a recipe that calls for wine?

20-Minute Shrimp Scampi

• Prep Time:10 minutes
  • Cook Time:10 minutes
  • Total Time:20 minutes
  • Servings:4 servings

• 1/4 cup olive oil
  • 20-25 peeled and deveined shrimp
  • 4 large garlic cloves minced
  • 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
  • 1/2 cup dry white wine (sauvignon blanc is best)
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
  • 5 tablespoon unsalted butter
  • 3/4 box of angel hair pasta
  • 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
  • 1 lemon, juiced

Bring a 6- to 8-quart pot of salted water to a boil.

Meanwhile, heat oil in a large fry pan over moderately high heat until the oil is hot but not smoking.

Then sauté shrimp by placing shrimp on one side for 1 minute and flip it onto the other side for another minute. The shrimp will turn orange when ready. When finished, transfer shrimp to a large bowl.

Add garlic, red pepper flakes, wine, salt and pepper to the oil remaining in the pan. Cook over high heat, stirring occasionally for 1 minute.

Add butter to the mixture, stirring until melted, adding in shrimp after. Once the shrimp is coated in sauce, remove skillet from heat.

Cook pasta in boiling water according to the package instructions. When cooked, drain and toss pasta with shrimp mixture and squeeze full lemon into mixture.

Plate food and pour yourself a well-deserved glass of wine.

Photo by Natsuko Mazany