Spoon University Logo
IMG 0531
IMG 0531
Recipes

Mom’s 2-Ingredient Ginger Steamer for Winter

This article is written by a student writer from the Spoon University at Harvard chapter.

We all love a creamy, indulgent holiday drink– but sometimes, all the festive decadence can feel excessive. My mom’s 2-ingredient ginger steamer is not only filled with spicy holiday flavor, but filled with amazing health benefits too. Take just two ingredients, 20 minutes, and whip up this ginger steamer to warm up, detox, and enjoy those gingery winter vibes.

Ginger steamer

Difficulty:BeginnerPrep time: 5 minutesCook time: 15 minutesTotal time: 20 minutesServings:1 servings

Instructions

1. Shelby Yuan

Peel the ginger chop into small pieces.

#Spoontip: Use a spoon to peel and scrape away the ginger skin.

2. Shelby Yuan

Combine the chopped ginger and water in a small pot on the stove. Cover with a lid and bring to a boil.

3. Shelby Yuan

Once the water + ginger are boiling, reduce the heat to maintain a gentle boil or simmer. Let cook for 15 min, keeping the lid on.

4. Shelby Yuan

Add 1-2 tablespoons brown sugar, to taste.

#Spoontip: less sugar, more spicy ginger flavor.

Try it out for yourself, and you’ll see that this ginger steamer ticks all the boxes. Ginger’s natural spice warms you up from the inside, soothes your digestive system, and evokes all those fuzzy festive feelings. This ginger steamer is the classiest way to upgrade your standard holiday drinks.

Shelby Yuan

Harvard '19

Food-obsessed, cat-loving, marathon runner and baking aficionado