Spoon University Logo
IMG 3340 %281%29
IMG 3340 %281%29
Recipes

3 Vegan Thanksgiving Recipes Even Your Trump-Supporting Grandma Will Love

This article is written by a student writer from the Spoon University at NYU chapter.

Thanksgiving is a time to feast. Some say it is a time to be grateful and count your blessings, others say it is a time to grate cheese and count your servings of turkey! Maybe though, your family isn’t having a “Vegan Thanksgiving,” and no one’s asking them to. I grew up staying overnight at my cousins on Thanksgiving Eve just to get up at 5 am and witness my Italian Godfather in a blue bandana belting country music and manhandling turkeys with absolute glee. Now that I’m older, and I’m not as interested in turkey, I still want to enjoy a meal with my family without having to make calls ahead of time or change any traditions that could rip the fabric of family into dietary shreds. 

So here are a couple recipes to remedy the awkward relative questions — might even stoop a few!

The last recipe’s crust is inspired by Minimalist Baker’s “Coconut Oil Crust.”

Spank Yo Mama Stuffing

Difficulty:BeginnerPrep time: 10 minutesCook time: 45 minutesTotal time: 55 minutesServings:4 servings

Instructions

1. Alison Regan

Preheat oven to 400. Mix flaxmeal and warm water and let sit.

Sautee onion, celery, and carrot in vegan butter or olive oil in cast-iron pan until onions are translucent.

2. Alison Regan

Add sweet potato, purple sweet potato, parsnips, garlic and spices. Cook for 10 minutes.

3. Alison Regan

Add tempeh and stir in for a couple of minutes. Squeeze half lemon over top.

4. Alison Regan

Add bread slices torn into bite size chunks, after stirring, pour stock over the top and cook out some of the liquid for 5 minutes.

5. Alison Regan

Mix in flaxeggs and cashews then put into the preheated oven. Let roast for 10-15 minutes, or until golden brown crust forms.

Cheesy, Creamy, Green-y Bean Casserole

Instructions

1. Alison Regan

Preheat oven to 375.

Sautee onions and garlic in pan until slightly translucent

2. Alison Regan

Add mushrooms and seasoning and sautee, adding stock a bit at a time. Stir and let stock evaporate for a while.

3. Alison Regan

Add non-dairy milk and let it heat through before adding cornstarch and allowing it to thicken.

4. Alison Regan

Once it coats the back of a spoon/spatula, or resembles cream of mushroom soup, you can add nutritional yeast for cheesy flavor, or just mix in cooked green beans. Add mixture to oven-safe container, coat with fried onions and cook for 20-30 minutes or until golden brown on top.

Punkin’ No Chunkin’ Pie

Difficulty:BeginnerPrep time: 40 minutesCook time:1 hour 30 minutesTotal time:2 hours 10 minutesServings: servings

Instructions

1. Alison Regan

Preheat oven to 350.

Combine pumpkin, sweetened condensed coconut milk, vanilla, flaxmeal, baking powder, and spices into a bowl and put in fridge to set. Optional to add 2 tbsp of water to thin out.

2. Alison Regan

Combine flour, sugar, spices, baking powder and baking soda in bowl and mix in coconut oil or vegan butter until clumpy.

3. Alison Regan

Add ice cold water little by little until solid dough is formed. Do not over knead.

4. Alison Regan

Roll dough out to 1/4 inch thickness.

5. Alison Regan

Spray pie pans with oil then put parchment paper in the base. Lay pie dough over the pan and press in the sides, evening thickness as you go.

6. Alison Regan

Use a fork to press holes in the bottom of the crust, then let crusts cool in the fridge for at least 20 minutes(or the freezer for 5-10).

7. Alison Regan

Fill crusts with filling and bake for 50-80 minutes. Let cool for at least 10 minutes, or cool in the fridge before serving. Top with sifted powdered sugar or non-dairy whipped topping!

Vegan Thanksgiving
Alison Regan

Vegan Thanksgiving
Alison Regan

Hey there! My name is Ali Regan. I am an NYU Tisch student who spends all of my time cooking or watching people cook whenever I'm not practicing ballet or rehearsing with my scene partner. I was born in Florida, moved to Pennsylvania, then to Bethesda then Baltimore Maryland! I was lucky to be born into a family that not only loves food but values the culture and community that comes with it. New York is such a food capital, and many come to share their culture and community here through food. I hope to do some of that while I'm here and I could not feel more grateful to be able to do so through Spoon!