Spoon University Logo
IMG 3950
IMG 3950
Recipes

This Chocolate Mug Cake Is Loaded With Protein

This article is written by a student writer from the Spoon University at U Chicago chapter.

For those of you who don’t know, mug cakes are the perfect dessert for a college student. They’re quick, easy, cheap, and if you do any sort of baking, you always have the ingredients on hand to make one. 

Mug cakes are perfect for late-night stress eating, random chocolate cravings, or anytime you’re looking for a quick dessert. The fact that you have to assemble it yourself provides just enough of a barrier that you (hopefully) don’t eat them too often. This is great for me because if I buy a box of cookies, I will eat the half the box in one sitting (this has actually happened).

My obsession with mug cakes has led me to experiment with more mug cake recipes than I can count: those with milk, without milk, with peanut butter, with swaps for oil, etc. This recipe is my favorite because it finds a happy medium between having a good texture and being healthy, delicious, and easy. It also uses protein powder, which is great if you don’t eat enough meat

Chocolate Protein Powder Mug Cake

Difficulty:BeginnerPrep time: 2 minutesCook time: 1 minuteTotal time: 3 minutesServings:1 servings

Instructions

1. Liz Joyce

Add dry ingredients (excluding the chocolate chips) in your favorite mug.

2. Liz Joyce

Add wet ingredients to the mug.

3. Liz Joyce

Mix it all up!

4. Liz Joyce

Optional but recommended step: mix in chocolate chips. If you’re feeling sophisticated, you can create a divot in the center of the cake and only put the chocolate there, producing a molten center.

5. Liz Joyce

Microwave for 1 minute.

6. Liz Joyce

Revel in your culinary prowess.

Liz Joyce

U Chicago '17