Spoon University Logo
fw
fw
Recipes

How to Make Seared Mediterranean Pork With Hummus and Sweet Corn Salsa

This article is written by a student writer from the Spoon University at KU chapter.

It’s summer time, and with that comes no school (unless you’re taking summer classes, sorry), no worries (unless you have some…), relaxation (unless you work all the time to cover a large student debt that will take most of your adult life to pay off), and beer and food (at least you have something, right?).

In the midst of sitting outside one day, I thought of this recipe, something that really made me think about summer. A simply made hummus, some flavored packed pork, toasted naan (something I can’t resist), and some nice corn salsa all make for a perfect meal.

So while this may have a lot of ingredients it’s so simple that even I can make it. It’s light, it’s refreshing, and goes great with a nice lager on a hot day.

Seared Mediterranean Pork

Difficulty:BeginnerPrep time: 20 minutesCook time: 10 minutesTotal time: 30 minutesServings:2 servings

Instructions

1. Photo by Justin Ko

Cut up your pork in 1/2-1 inch sized cubes (or buy pre-cubed pork).

2. Photo by Justin Ko

Chop the rosemary.

3. Slice the onion.

4. Finely chop the garlic.

5. Mix all the ingredients in a bowl and let that marinate for at least 2 hours, but preferably overnight.

6. In a hot (medium high to high heat), oiled skillet place the pork (do not pour the bowl into the pan or else the pork won’t sear correctly). Turn after about a minute on each side.

7. After about 3-5 minutes, lower the heat to medium to let the meat cook all the way through. This will take about another 2-4 minutes.

Garlic Hummus

Difficulty:BeginnerPrep time: 2 minutesCook time: 3 minutesTotal time: 5 minutesServings:3 servings

Instructions

1. Photo by Justin Ko

Drain the beans.

2. Place everything in a food processor.

3. Photo by Justin Ko

Pulse until desired consistency (if it’s not getting smooth enough, just add water little by little).

Sweet Corn Salsa

Difficulty:BeginnerPrep time: 10 minutesCook time: 2 minutesTotal time: 12 minutesServings:3 servings

Instructions

1. Photo by Justin Ko

Shear the corn off the cob (or buy and drain corn from can).

2. Photo by Justin Ko

Dice the onion into fine pieces.

3. Dice the tomato.

4. Zest the whole lime.

5. Photo by Justin Ko

Place all the ingredients in a bowl and mix well.

Hi, my name's Justin! I'm a lover of food, I go to the University of Kansas, and I like dogs.