Spoon University Logo
IMG 1254 1
IMG 1254 1
Recipes

This Healthy Butter Chicken Is Better Than Takeout

This article is written by a student writer from the Spoon University at STFX chapter.

Butter chicken is a classic Indian dish that many enjoy adding to their takeout order on a Friday night for something delicious to end the week with. Although very flavorful and a fan favorite, butter chicken is not the healthiest option and takeout can get a little pricey for a university student. This recipe is sure to satisfy you curry cravings with fewer calories and more money in your pocket.

Butter Chicken

Difficulty:BeginnerPrep time: 10 minutesCook time:1 hour Total time:1 hour 10 minutesServings:5 servings

Instructions

1. Photo by Mikaela Jahrig

Heat pan and add vegetable oil. Add the boneless, skinless, chicken thighs once pan is hot, season with salt and pepper to taste. Cook chicken thoroughly.

2. Photo by Mikaela Jahrig

While chicken is cooking, dice the white onion and 2 cloves of garlic evenly. Add to a separate pan with butter and olive oil and saute until translucent (approx. 10 minutes).

3. Photo by Mikaela Jahrig

Add all spices to the onions once translucent. Stir constantly over low heat so the oils are released from the spices.

4. Photo by Mikaela Jahrig

Add canned tomatoes to the onions and stir. Add chicken broth and bring to a simmer.

5. Photo by Mikaela Jahrig

Add peanut butter and brown sugar to tomato and onion mixture and stir. While letting simmer, cut cooked chicken thighs into even pieces.

6. Photo by Mikaela Jahrig

Use emulsifier or blender to blend tomato and onion mixture until smooth.

7. Photo by Mikaela Jahrig

Add diced chicken to the mixture and stir. In the meantime, prepare rice of your choice in rice cooker or on the stove.

8. Photo by Mikaela Jahrig

Plate chicken and sauce over prepared rice. For toppings add anything such as sour cream, cilantro, chopped peanuts or green onion to your liking.