Spoon University Logo
new new cover 1
new new cover 1
Recipes

How to Transform a Store-Bought Cake Into a Dominique Ansel Creation

This article is written by a student writer from the Spoon University at Miami (OH) chapter.

Instead of feeling shame at your family reunion when your last minute store-bought cake sits next to Grandma’s homemade double chocolate chip cookies, use this recipe to impress the pants off them. All you need is three ingredients to transform a plain cake into a must-have dessert that will give Grandma’s cookies a run for her money.

Basket ‘O’ Berries Cake

Difficulty:BeginnerPrep time: 15 minutesCook time: 5 minutesTotal time: 20 minutesServings:8 servings

Instructions

1. Photo by Sam Weed

Melt chocolate in the microwave for 30 second intervals until is it completely melted. Stir between each interval.

#SpoonTip: Either milk or dark chocolate will do for this recipe. A combination of both is also delicious.

2. Photo by Sam Weed

Pour chocolate into a plastic bag and use scissors to snip off the corner of the bag.

3. Photo by Sam Weed

Pipe lines of chocolate on wax paper.

4. Photo by Sam Weed

Drag the back of the spoon over the lines, spreading the chocolate out, creating the picket-like shape. Place the chocolates in the fridge for 5 minutes.

5. Photo by Sam Weed

Cut the tops of the strawberries off and place them in a bowl.

6. Photo by Sam Weed

Prep your station for assembly (remove chocolate from fridge).

7. Photo by Nancy Weed

Pipe chocolate on the bottom half of the chocolate picket and place on the side of the cake.

#SpoonTip: Leave your finger pressed against the chocolate for at least 20 seconds to make sure the chocolate sets.

8. Photo by Sam Weed

Continue placing the chocolate pickets around the cake until all four sides are covered.

9. Photo by Sam Weed

Place (individually and carefully) each strawberry on the cake until the top is completely covered.

10. Photo by Sam Weed

Dust the top with powdered sugar and place a ribbon around the cake. You can secure the ribbon with melted chocolate.

Sam Weed

Miami (OH) '19

Sam Weed is an enthusiastic member of Miami University’s class of 2019. Originally from Detroit, MI, Sam combines her passion for food with her health conscious perspective to create a holistic lifestyle. Follow her Instagram account, @sip.slurp.savor, to check out her delicious food adventures.