Spoon University Logo
Pesto
Pesto
Jocelyn Hsu / Spoon
Recipes

Walnut Pesto: A Bold Twist on Classic Pesto

This article is written by a student writer from the Spoon University at Rutgers chapter.

If you’re a fan of pesto but are allergic to pine nuts (like I am), you’re in for a treat with this walnut-based pesto recipe. Whether you’re looking for a nutty, flavorful alternative or simply want to switch things up in the kitchen, this recipe makes the perfect, bold pesto that works perfectly on pasta, sandwiches, or even as a dip. You can also store it in the fridge and keep using it throughout the week for various meals. 

Traditional pesto recipes often use pine nuts for that creamy texture, but walnuts bring a delicious twist. Walnuts are a bit earthier and more robust, creating a deeper flavor profile. This brain shaped nut (which is ironically also good for your brain) is also packed with healthy fats, helps fight inflammation, and has so many other health benefits- making them a great alternative if you’re allergic to pine nuts. 

• About 20 roasted walnuts (you can substitute these with other nuts like almonds or cashews if you like)
  • 2 cups of fresh basil
  • Olive oil
  • Juice of 1/2 a lemon
  • About 1/3 cup grated cheese of your choice (Parmesan is the go-to, but I used Amul cheese for a unique flavor)
  • 2 green chilies (adds a little heat and excitement)
  • 7-8 small cloves of garlic (Pesto loves garlic!)
  • Salt and pepper to season
  • Food Processor 
Walnut
Torey Walsh / Spoon

Preparation:

Start by roasting the walnuts for a few minutes. This step is crucial because it brings out their rich, slightly sweet flavor and makes it easier to blend. If you’re feeling experimental (or are just allergic to walnuts) try swapping in almonds, cashews, or even sunflower seeds. 

Next, take your fresh basil. I have a kitchen garden, so I picked mine fresh from outside. Two cups might sound like a lot, but trust me, it’s just the right amount to create that beautiful, green pesto look and flavor. The basil gives the pesto its aromatic freshness and pairs beautifully with the walnuts. Basil-infused olive oil works wonders here too, bringing even more herby goodness to the table. 

Now, it’s time for the lemon. The juice of half a lemon brightens the whole mixture. The acidity from the lemon balances out the richness of the walnuts and cheese, adding a light, tangy kick to your pesto. Squeeze out about half of a lemon and place it on the side. You can always use pre squeezed lemons, it just depends on your convenience. I personally love freshly squeezed lemon because it has that extra fresh zesty flavor.  

This next step is truly my favorite step. CHEESE! Traditionally, pesto is made with Parmesan cheese, but for this recipe, I used Amul cheese. Amul cheese has a unique, slightly sharper taste, making it a fun twist on the standard. Grate the cheese and place it on standby. I end up eating half of it while prepping so if you’re like me, be sure to grate some extra. 

What makes this pesto stand out is the heat from two green chilies- (these too are fresh from my garden). While 2 chillies are not overwhelmingly spicy, they’re just enough to give the pesto some excitement and depth. Pairing the chilies with garlic (7-8 small cloves, depending on how much garlic you can handle) adds that punchy, bold flavor that makes pesto so irresistible.

Putting It All Together:

Now it’s time to blend! Add all your ingredients to a food processor or blender. The key here is to drizzle the olive oil in slowly while blending to keep the texture on point. Pesto is not meant to be overly smooth like a puree; instead, you want a slightly chunky, chopped consistency that lets you taste each ingredient. Blend just enough to combine everything but stop before it turns too creamy. Remember, the texture is everything! This usually takes about 5 minute for me but it all depends on your food processor- so make sure you’re focused on your pesto. 

Final Touches:

Once your pesto is done, taste it, and adjust with a pinch of salt and pepper. You’ll be amazed at the vibrant, bold flavor of this walnut-based pesto. It’s rich yet fresh, with a nice hit of heat from the chilies and a robust garlic flavor.

Serve your walnut pesto over your favorite pasta, on a sandwich, or use it as a dip for veggies and crackers. This versatile, nutty delight will keep in the fridge for about a week – though it rarely lasts that long because it’s just SO GOOD. 

So, the next time you’re craving pesto but need a pine nut-free version, give this walnut-based pesto a try. You’ll love the rich, earthy flavors that walnuts bring to the table. Eat at your own risk… you may never go back to the original boring pesto ever again! 

Here’s a step-by-step video for this Walnut-Based Pesto:

Hey! I'm a Sophomore at Rutgers University majoring in Exercise Science and double minoring in Nutrition and Psychology. I'm a big big foodie and absolutely love cooking new concoctions to try out. You'll always find me eating food or trying ways to bring together various flavors to make one big spice bomb. I'm also a dancer and just enjoy all things FOOD.