Spoon University Logo
studysessionparty?width=734&height=489&fit=crop&auto=webp&dpr=4
studysessionparty?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp&dpr=4
Photos by Sarah Barna, Emily Wall, and Sophie Mijnlieff from Dupe Photos
Lifestyle

How To Throw A Study Session Party

We’re about a month and a half into the semester, which means exam season is upon us. But, this doesn’t mean that studying has to be torturous all-nighters. You can make it fun by hosting a study session party. This is especially great for freshmen to take advantage of living a two minute walk from your friends. 

Location

Location, location, location; it determines the vibes of the session. If you’re in a loud dining hall, you’ll be distracted and tempted to talk with your friends. On the other end of that spectrum, if you go to a quiet floor, you won’t really be able to collaborate and enjoy yourself. In my opinion, quiet floors are more so for individual work. So, I recommend renting out a study room in the library or just getting together on a talking level, a common room in a dorm building, a friend’s dorm room or apartment. 

Decor

When I say decor, I don’t mean you have to go buy party supplies, but at least make the space comfortable. If the session is held in someone’s dorm or apartment, get pillows and blankets to place around your rug so everyone has some sort of personal space. If you’re at the library, you can’t really decorate, but you could make the party a theme like a PJ party.

Food

Food is essential for keeping your energy up. Grumbling stomachs only lead to bad things: feelings of hanger, loss of motivation, and tiredness. So, it’s important to keep your stomach satisfied. Depending on when you start your session, you’ll want to remain fueled. Have everyone bring a snack such as popcorn, mixed nuts, and berries (dried or fresh). You can’t go wrong with a dip, like guacamole, hummus, buffalo chicken dip, or spinach and artichoke (chef’s kiss), pair them with pretzels or tortilla chips.

Drinks

Along with food, drinks are essential when studying. It’s crucial to have (ice) water and a fun drink at all times. These need to be within arms reach for a successful study session. Water will keep you hydrated, but sometimes you need a little extra push. Energy drinks are probably what first come to mind: Celsius, Monster, Bang, or Redbull. Unless you plan on pulling an all-nighter, I would skip the energy drinks and stick to soda, coffee, or green tea. Nobody wants a severe headache on an exam day.

The Plan

First and foremost, you need a plan. Going in with a plan helps the group stay on task and avoid getting sidetracked. This plan needs to consider everyone’s goals and learning styles so everyone can get the most out of the session. Review each topic for an allotted time and then go over it. Collaboration is key when it comes to group studying, and you need to make sure it’s fun. Be a kid again and play teacher. Teaching someone a concept is an effective studying method because it tests whether you know the topic well enough. If that’s not your thing, get competitive! Competition is one of the easiest ways to motivate people, so host jeopardy, make a Kahoot, or see who can answer flashcards the fastest. Rewards and breaks are key when studying. Grab a bag of candy to share with everyone after a certain time has passed and give yourselves a break! Let your brain rest before moving onto something else.

Julia Lagano is a senior at Virginia Tech, majoring in Multimedia Journalism and French. She is a National Writer for Spoon University where she writes about news for foodies and does product reviews. Outside of Spoon University, she is a disk jockey for her college's radio station, WUVT 90.7 FM. You can catch her on the air or at a cookout ordering a chocolate malt shake with M&Ms. You can reach her at julialagano@vt.edu or follow her on social media @julia.lagano.