Spoon University Logo

DBS this, DBS that. What is it? Dense Bean Salads, or DBS for short, are trending on TikTok for their high protein and versatility. TikTok content creator Violet Witchel, self-deemed “Dense Bean Salad girl,” is the founder of the idea. She has multiple DBS recipes compiled in a playlist on her TikTok account and has inspired her followers and more to create their own variations. With 2.6 million followers, she has gained lots of popularity for her DBS creations. 

A typical DBS consists of a selection of beans, another protein, vegetables, seasonings, and a dressing. Witchel’s followers have raved about the high protein content, delicious taste, and many ingredients that a DBS can be made from. We’ve compiled a roundup of DBS recipes from Witchel and those inspired by Witchel’s original creation. These recipes will have you excited for your next lunch or dinner. 

Miso Edamame Dense Bean Salad

@violet.cooks

Balsamic Mediterranean salad recipe Ingredients – 1 bag of Persian cucumbers – 1 red onion – 3 multicolor bell peppers – 1 head of parsley – 2 avocado – 2 cans of rinsed and drained chickpeas – 1/2 a cup olive oil – Juice of two lemons – 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar – 1 tbs oregano – Big pinch of red pepper flakes – 1 tbs cumin – 1 tbs sea salt Instructions 1. Dice your cucumbers and add them to a big salad bowl. 2. Mince your red onion and add it to the bowl. 3. Cut the ends off, core, and chop your bell peppers, add them. 4. Finely mince your parsley and add it. 5. Cube your avocado and add them (optional) 6. Add your chickpeas, olive oil, lemon juice, oregano, red pepper flakes, cumin, and salt. 7. Toss everything together and enjoy! #healthy #glutenfree #dairyfree #mediteranneanfood

♬ Wes Anderson-esque Cute Acoustic – Kenji Ueda

This vibrant recipe takes edamame and white beans and seasons them with a dressing of miso paste, sesame oil, ginger, garlic, and more. Throw in some cucumbers, sesame seeds, cilantro, onions, cabbage, and jalapeno, and you have a crunchy and nutritious meal. 

Marinated Feta Dense Bean Salad

@violet.cooks

Marinated Feta Dense Bean Salad!Ingredients 1 rotisserie chicken 1 16 oz container of marinated feta and olive blend 1 bunch of cilantro 1 bunch of parsley 1/4 of a red onion 1 container of cherry tomatoes 1 bell pepper 1 can of white beans 1 can of garbanzo beans 1/2 cup of olive oil 1/4 cup red wine vinegar the juice of 2 lemons 1/2 tsp Dijon mustard big pinch of sea salt pinch of red pepper flakes 2 cloves of garlic Instructions Break down and chop the rotisserie chicken. Core and dice the bell pepper. Slice the cherry tomatoes in half. Mince the parsley and cilantro. Rinse and drain the beans. Add the chicken, bell pepper, tomatoes, parsley, cilantro, and beans to a large bowl. In a separate container, mix together the olive oil, vinegar, mustard, sea salt, red pepper flakes, and crushed garlic. Add that to the bowl with the marinated olive feta mixture. It should be in a seasoned olive oil mixture, pour that in as well. Toss everything together and store in deli containers or Tupperware in the fridge.

♬ C’est Magnifique – Peggy Lee

This DBS variation gets its protein from rotisserie chicken, white beans, and garbanzo beans. Featuring a marinated feta and olive blend accompanied by cilantro, parsley, tomatoes, red onion, and more, it channels a flavorful recipe that had one user commenting, “I need a dense bean salad cookbook.” 

LaScala Dense Bean Salad

@violet.cooks

I could literally drink the dressing from this salad. It’s so rich and creamy. I also discovered a fun hack of mixing your dressings using a milk frother to make them extra creamy and fluffy without the mess of a blender. Ingredients 1 bag of Persian cucumbers 1 container of cherry tomatoes 1 bunch of parsley 1 container of mini mozzarella balls 1 container of calabrese or salami 1 shallot 1 can of chickpeas 1 can of white beans 1/2 a jar of sliced kalamata olives 1/2 a jar of sliced pepperoncinis 1 cup of grated parmesan cheese For the Dressing 2 cloves of grated garlic 1/4 cup red wine vinegar 1/4 cup olive oil 2 tbs dijon mustard 1 tsp sea salt 1 tsp Italian seasoning the juice of half a lemon Instructions Dice the cucumbers, slice your tomatoes in half, chop the parsley, finely mince your shallot, and thinly slice your calabrese. Add the cucumbers, tomatoes, parsley, shallot, and calabrese to a bowl. Add in the grated parmesan, mini mozzarella balls, sliced olives, and pepperoncini. Rinse and drain your chickpeas and white beans and add them to the bowl. In a large cup add the olive oil, red wine vinegar, garlic, lemon juice, mustard, sea salt, pepper, and Italian seasoning. Use a milk frother to blend until creamy. Pour the dressing over the top of the salad ingredients and toss aggressively. Enjoy! This keeps in the fridge well for about 4 days but I think it’s still good for about a week. It makes about 5 servings!@Nicole K. Modic

This recipe by Witchel features cucumbers, tomatoes, chickpeas, and white beans as the base ingredients, along with various add-ins and seasonings in both the items mixed in the dressing. In the TikTok she posted with this recipe, she recommended using a milk frother to mix dressings to make them “extra creamy and fluffy without the mess of a blender.”

Many have taken Witchel’s trend and made it their own. Here are a few more DBS recipes inspired by Witchel’s original creation.

Chipotle Chicken Dense Bean Salad

Content creator Dishing with Dez modified Witchel’s DBS recipe and included an original chipotle marinade blend of peppers in adobo sauce, chicken, and various spices. Add in corn and a dressing of lemon, lime, mayo, sour cream and other seasonings, and you have a unique take on the DBS concept.

Mediterranean Dense Bean Salad

@nourished.by.mads

Mediterranean Dense Bean Salad 🤩 This is so healthy and delicious! FULL RECIPE AT MY LINK IN BIO ON MY WEBSITE 💛 #mediterraneandiet #healthyrecipes #saladrecipe

♬ Adore – Instrumental – GC

Content creator Nourished by Mads came up with this meat-free DBS recipe. It honors Mediterranean cuisine through traditional ingredients like feta and chickpeas.

High Protein Dense Bean Salad

Content creator @trulytres shared this high-protein DBS, which includes a combination of ingredients like chickpeas, pepperoni, and grilled chicken to maximize protein intake. This simple recipe only calls for the ingredients listed prior plus mint, red onion, parsley, bell peppers, tomatoes, artichoke, and mozzarella balls. 

Amanda Sinofsky is a contributing writer for the Spoon University National Writers Program. She is a second-year undergraduate student at the University of Maryland's Philip Merrill College of Journalism pursuing a double major in Journalism and English with a Media Studies focus. She is from a New Jersey suburb 25 minutes outside of Philadelphia. At UMD, she is a copy editor for The Diamondback, the university's student-run newspaper, and is the music & arts editor for The Campus Trainer, an online lifestyle magazine at the university. In her free time, Amanda is a part of a student-run dance company and enjoys reading, listening to music (anything Taylor Swift), and spending time with her friends.