If you are looking for low-cost, simple recipes to cook for yourself, this vegetable fried rice is a great place to start. Most of the ingredients are probably already in your kitchen and the others are easy to come by and store. If carrots, peas and corn aren’t your favorite vegetables, feel free to substitute them. This recipe would also work well with chicken or another protein.

Easy

Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 35 minutes

Servings: 4

1 cup white rice
2 cups water
1 to 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 eggs, beaten
1/3 cup frozen peas
1/3 cup frozen corn
1/3 cup carrots, chopped to the size of peas and corn
2 to 3 tablespoons soy or teriyaki sauce

1. Bring the water to a boil in a small saucepan. Add the rice, cover the pan and reduce the heat to medium low. Cook the rice until it is tender and the water has disappeared, 15 to 18 minutes.
2. Add the vegetable oil to a large frying pan over high heat.
3. Once the oil is hot, add the carrots and cook until soft. Make sure to move them around with a spoon or spatula to prevent burning.

Photo by Bernard Wen

4. Add the cooked rice to the pan with the carrots, moving it around again to prevent it from sticking to the sides of the pan and burning.
5. Pour the beaten eggs over the rice and mix everything together to distribute the egg evenly as it cooks.

Photo by Bernard Wen

6. Add the frozen corn, frozen peas and sauce. Mix everything together, allow the rice to cool and enjoy.

Photo by Bernard Wen

Photo by Bernard Wen