I hopped on the zoodle (zucchini noodle) train ages ago and ever since I’ve been searching for new ways to reinvent dishes I already adore. Substituting zucchini for pasta can help you get your greens and lighten up traditional carb-filled meals. Next time you’re craving lasagna switch it up and choose the veggie route, your body will thank you.
Zucchini Lasagna Rolls
- Prep Time:25 minutes
- Cook Time:25 minutes
- Total Time:50 minutes
- 8 oz part skim ricotta cheese
- 4 oz low fat cottage cheese
- 3 tablespoon Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoon fresh flat leaf parsley
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
- black pepper to taste
- 2 large zucchini cut lengthwise into 8 (1/4 inch thick) slices
- 1 cup marinara sauce, store bought or homemade
- 1/2 cup shredded part skim mozzarella cheese
To make the ricotta filling, toss the ricotta, cottage cheese, parsley, basil, salt, garlic powder, red pepper flakes, and pepper into a food processor and blend until smooth. Refrigerate until you’re ready to use it.
Slice the zucchini lengthwise so each piece is approximately 1/4 inch wide.
Brush both sides of the zucchini with oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
Heat a pan to medium heat and cook each side of the zucchini for 2 minutes.
On each zucchini plank evenly spread about a tablespoon of the ricotta filling, then roll.
Spread a 1/4 cup of marinara sauce into a casserole dish and then add each of the zucchini rolls on top. Pour the remaining marinara sauce on top and sprinkle on that cheese.
Bake for 20-25 minutes at 375°F. Let it cool and then enjoy the melted cheesy goodness.