Scones may not be your go-to brunch recipe, but that is about to change.  Edible Silicon Valley, a local magazine and online source for food and community in the Bay Area, has detailed a delicious Strawberry Coconut Scone recipe.  

I tried this recipe out so that you wouldn't have to, but now I am telling you that you have to! You do not want to miss this recipe. These spring-inspired scones are perfect for any occasion: brunch, holidays, even dessert.  So head on over to your pantry and get ready to have an unforgettable treat with a cup of tea on the side.

Strawberry Coconut Scones

• Prep Time:1 hr 20 mins
  • Total Time:1 hr 38 mins

• 2⅓ cup unbleached all-purpose flour
  • cup brown sugar
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • teaspoon baking soda
  • teaspoon kosher salt
  • 12 medium strawberries hulled and quartered
  • cup virgin coconut oil
  • cup coconut cream
  • 1 large egg
  • 2 tablespoons water
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 1 cup powdered sugar
chocolate
Megan Coleman

Combine the dry ingredients:
    Measure the flour, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt into a medium mixing bowl. Add the coconut oil, using a pastry cutter to incorporate the coconut oil into the flour. (There should still be a few pea-sized pieces of coconut oil throughout.)

dough, egg, dairy product, flour
    Megan Coleman

Gently fold in the strawberries.
    I added a bonus of chocolate chunks here because I was cooking for my chocoholic family!

chicken
    Megan Coleman

Combine the wet ingredients:
    Whisk together the coconut cream and egg, in a separate mixing bowl, until no streaks of egg yolk remain.

egg
    Megan Coleman

Pour the wet mixture into the bowl of dry ingredients. Use a wooden spoon or dough whisk to gently mix the wet and dry ingredients, just until all of the flour is absorbed and the dough begins to come away from the sides of the bowl.

soup, chicken, bacon
    Megan Coleman

Divide the dough in half, then gently pat it into two disks, ½ inch thick and 6 inches across.

chocolate, cookie, cake
    Megan Coleman

Wrap the disks of dough with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
    Waiting is the hardest part!

Megan Coleman

Cut the chilled disks of dough into 8 wedges each. Place them an inch apart on the lined baking sheet. While cutting the disks, line a baking sheet with parchment paper, or a silicone baking mat if you have one, and preheat the oven to 350°.

cheese
    Megan Coleman

Finally time to bake! Bake the scones for 15–18 minutes, until lightly browned.
    While the scones are baking, whisk together the glaze ingredients in a small bowl.

cake
    Megan Coleman

While the scones are still warm, dunk their tops into the glaze, then set them on a cooling rack. (Let cool until the glaze has fully set.)

butter, cookie, chocolate
    Megan Coleman

Now grab a cup of coffee and enjoy! You are now a scone making, brunch serving pro!

Megan Cleary

Check out the edible Silicon Valley Facebook Page while enjoying your scone full of buttery goodness.