Just about everyone loves Chinese takeout, but it’s high time someone put a lil spin on that savory Orange Chicken dish we all know so well. This vegetarian “orange chicken” cauliflower uses a vegetable base in place of chicken and you know what? It ain’t half bad…In fact, it’s delicious.

The recipe uses the same gooey orange sauce as the Chinese takeout classic, but coats a cauliflower, something I know we could all use a little more of in our diets. It tastes just as good as the original, but boasts a lot more nutritional value than the orange chicken you order from around the corner every Tuesday. Of course, meat-lovers can use this recipe to make their own orange chicken at home too. But once you try it with cauliflower, you’ll never go back.

So put down the phone next time you want to order that Chinese takeout and whip up vegetarian “Orange Chicken” Cauliflower at home.

Vegetarian "Orange Chicken" Cauliflower

• Prep Time:25 minutes
  • Cook Time:8 minutes
  • Total Time:33 minutes

• 1 large head cauliflower
  • 2 teaspoon sesame oil
  • 1 egg
  • 1/3 cup corn starch
  • 3 tablespoon soy sauce
  • 1 teaspoon minced ginger
  • 2 cloves minced garlic
  • 2 tablespoon canola oil
  • 1 teaspoon fresh orange zest
  • 1 tablespoon orange juice
  • 2 tablespoon soy sauce
  • 2 tablespoon water
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • 1/4 cup rice vinegar
  • 1/4 cup vegetable broth
  • 2 tablespoon corn starch
  • 2 tablespoon sliced green onion
  • toasted sesame seeds
Photo by Dani Weinstein

In a large bowl combine the sesame oil, egg, soy sauce and corn starch until a thin batter forms.

GIF by Dani Weinstein

Toss in the cauliflower and let sit while you make the sauce, tossing every few minutes to coat all pieces.

GIF by Dani Weinstein

In a small bowl whisk together all the ingredients for the sauce except the broth and corn starch.

GIF by Dani Weinstein

Combine the broth and corn starch in a separate small bowl and whisk till no more clumps. Combine with the other sauce ingredients. Set aside.

GIF by Dani Weinstein

Heat a large wok over medium high heat, add 2 tbsp of canola oil and begin to fry the cauliflower on all sides, in batches, making sure not to crowd the pan. Once all the cauliflower is all cooked remove any excess oil from pan and wipe clean.

GIF by Dani Weinstein

Return pan to heat and add 1 tsp of oil. Add the ginger and garlic to pan and stir, cooking for 30 seconds, until very fragrant. Pour in the sauce and stir constantly until it begins to thicken.

GIF by Dani Weinstein

Remove from heat and gently toss in the cauliflower, turning to coat evenly. Garnish with green onions and toasted sesame seeds if desired. Enjoy your Vegetarian “Orange Chicken” Cauliflower.