Now let's get shroomy.
Vegan Mushroom Gravy
- Prep Time:10 mins
- Cook Time:30 mins
- Total Time:40 mins
- 2 cup chopped mushrooms crimini white button etc
- 1 1/2 tablespoon olive oil or non-dairy butter
- 1 shallot or 1/2 an onion
- 2 clove garlic minced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon minced rosemary optional
- 1 1/2 tablespoon soy sauce or Maggi seasoning optional but recommended
- 2 tablespoon nutritional yeast optional
- 2 tablespoon all-purpose or whole wheat flour or sub 1/2 tablespoon corn starch
- 1/2 cup unsweetened plain almond milk
- 3/4-1 cup vegetable broth or more if thinner gravy desired
Chop mushrooms into small, even pieces. Mince garlic and dice onion.
Heat oil in a medium skillet over medium heat. Add minced garlic and chopped onion and heat cook, stirring occasionally, until onions sweat and become translucent, about 5 minutes.
Add flour and whisk into mixture. Continue to cook for another minute.
Add mushrooms and continue to cook, stirring occasionally, until mushrooms soften, about 12 minutes.
Add salt, pepper, rosemary, soy sauce, and nutritional yeast. Cook an additional 4-5 minutes.
Mix together broth and almond milk in a bowl. Begin to add liquids to mushroom mixture, about 1/2 cup at a time, and allow to simmer and cook off between each addition (about 3-4 minutes each time).
Continue until all liquid has been added and gravy in pan is thick yet creamy and malleable. Add more liquid to adjust to desired viscosity.
If a smoother gravy is desired, allow gravy to cool before transferring to a food processor or blender and pureeing until desired smoothness is reached.
Serve with vegan biscuits, stuffing, on a grain bowl, or with Tofurky.