I'm an omnivore myself, but I love making vegan baked goods, because they taste amazing and I always like to think they're healthier for some reason. This vegan chai cupcake recipe has an amazing texture and can be enjoyed by vegans and meat-eaters alike!

If you're a fan of drinking tea (chai = tea), you will love it in cupcakes. These have a nice mild flavor of the almond milk and chai, with an added perk of the ginger, nutmeg, and cinnamon. You can also get fancy with adding a cinnamon stick and star anise pod for decoration, I got them in the bulk section of my local co-op and they were super affordable and oh so pretty.

You can also do another solid for the environment by using compostable cupcake liners like these. Definitely make these for your next party or get-together.

Vegan Chai Cupcakes

• For the cupcakes:
  • 1 1/2 cups unsweetened almond milk
  • 2 bags chai
  • 2 cups flour
  • 1 cup powdered sugar
  • 2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1 teaspoon ground ginger
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
  • 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
  • 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1/3 cup canola oil
  • For the icing:
  • 2 sticks vegan butter
  • 3 cups powdered sugar
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
cinnamon, chocolate
Photo by Jennifer Nigro

Preheat the oven to 350°F. Heat the almond milk to almost boiling and steep 2 bags of chai in the almond milk for 10 minutes.

Gif by Jennifer Nigro

Add the apple cider vinegar to the chai and stir.

Gif by Jennifer Nigro

In a mixing bowl, add flour, powdered sugar, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, and nutmeg, and mix it together.

Gif by Jennifer Nigro

Add canola oil and vanilla to the chai mixture and whisk it together.

Gif by Jennifer Nigro

Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients in the mixing bowl and mix until incorporated.

Gif by Jennifer Nigro

Scoop the batter into each cupcake liner and bake at 350°F for 20 minutes. When a toothpick comes out clean, they're done.

Gif by Jennifer Nigro

While the cupcakes are cooling, make the icing. Cream the vegan butter, and add 3 cups of powdered sugar, a little at a time. Add a teaspoon of vanilla extract, and continue to mix. Spoon the buttercream into a piping bag with your favorite tip (mine is the French tip). Pipe the frosting onto each cupcake when they are completely cool.

Gif by Jennifer Nigro

Sift on some ground cinnamon, then if you're feeling extra fancy, decorate the cupcakes with star anise and a cinnamon stick. Enjoy!

Gif by Jennifer Nigro