Who doesn’t love a great grilled cheese sandwich? They are so simple and yet so irresistibly good.
A grilled cheese sandwich is pretty easy to make, consisting of bread, butter and cheese. Three basic ingredients, when put together correctly, will come together to form something that is truly amazing. But why not add a little something? Adding tomato and bacon will make for a mouthwatering alternative to the typical grilled cheese.
First comes the bread. In the end result, your bread should be a light, crispy and toasty outside with a moist and soft inside that has soaked up all of the butter used when cooking, while still holding all the melted cheese. My favorite type of bread to use is sour dough, but there are a lot of different types of breads that taste great in grilled cheese sandwiches. Keep in mind that the thicker the bread is, the longer the cook time will be in order to melt the cheese in the middle.
Then comes the butter (salted is best). I like to spread the butter on the bread, and butter the pan a little, so that I can ensure that the entire surface of the bread is covered in butter (not the healthiest sandwich, but definitely delicious).
Last but not least, the cheese, bacon and tomato! You should cook the bacon and tomato prior to placing them on the sandwich to ensure that they are cooked thoroughly. It is so important when cooking to make sure the cheese is entirely melted. If you cook it slowly at a low temperature, you will not burn the outside of your bread while waiting for the cheese to melt.
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 15 minutes
Servings: 1 sandwich
2 slices bread
3 ounces cheese
3-4 slices of bacon
2 slices of tomato
1. Heat pan over medium heat.
2. Spread small amount of butter onto pan.
3. Butter one side of each slice of bread.
4. Place one slice of bread in the pan, buttered side down, and place first layer of cheese on bread.
5. Put tomato and bacon on first layer of cheese and add a second layer of cheese with the remaining slice of bread on top.
6. Turn the heat down a notch and cook until golden brown, about 2-4 minutes.
7. Flip and cook until golden brown on the other side
Voila! After these easy steps you have a delicious, buttery, ultimate grilled cheese.
You may also like: