It’s 1 am on a Tuesday night and all through the house not a creature is stirring. Except me.

I have what you would call ‘cram cravings,’ namely, overwhelming desires for late night snacks smack dab in the middle of my procrastinated scholarly obligations. They hit me at these inopportune times, and I have no choice but to satisfy them.

As the time arrives when I need a study break, I retreat to the one place where I can both create and destroy: the kitchen. (Un)fortunately, it is always just a hop, skip, and a jump away.

It is here that I have made my most important life discoveries concerning food. I turn into one of the hopeful contestants on Chopped while I explore my kitchen for the most outlandish ingredients and flavors. In a fury of stirring, slicing, and sautéing, my fantastic masterpiece comes to life.

bagel

Photo by Gabi Rosenthal

Evidence left over from the previous night’s festivities reminds me of what I’ve done. Crumbs are scattered across every flat surface in sight. Pots and pans remain coated in an unidentifiable sticky substance. There is a large empty space in the pantry where several types of food used to occupy.

Once I begin to think that all is lost, I open the fridge to discover the buried treasure: leftovers. These hand-me-down Tupperware containers serve as family heirlooms and have held a wide range of food during their respective lifespans. Each requires only the quick snap of the lid to reveal the delicious prize inside.

bagel

Photo by Gabi Rosenthal

What makes this even better is the discovery of fantastic new recipe ideas that abstain from the usual midnight snack, including this quick and easy bagel recipe. It sounds totally whacked-out, but it tastes amazing.

Get your munchies on and try it out. You can always finish that paper in the morning.

Midnight Bagel

Easy

Prep Time: 2 minutes
Cook Time: 3 minutes
Total Time: 5 minutes

Servings: 1

1 everything bagel
2 tablespoons cream cheese
1 tablespoon peanut butter
5 slices jalapeño

Directions:

1. Toast bagel until golden brown.

bagel

Photo by Gabi Rosenthal

2. Spread cream cheese on one side and peanut butter on the other.

bagel

Photo by Gabi Rosenthal

3. Distribute jalapeno slices evenly and press bagel slices together to make a sandwich.

So, I guess the moral of the story is to not feel bad about whatever it is that you do during self-regulated study breaks. Give yourself the wiggle room to try out different methods of relaxation until you find something that fits. Just remember to turn the stove off at the end of the night.

Want to hear more about college students’ culinary adventures?