On a cold, crisp Fall day, a warm bowl of your favorite comfort food can be just what the doctor ordered. Spaghetti, along with all of its carbs and all of its gluten, is welcomed in the season of bulky sweaters and hiding indoors. 

But what if you could get all of the satisfaction of noodles from vegetables?

Making noodles out of your favorite vegetables is easy, fast, and extremely satisfying. Sweet potatoes, a fall staple, can be transformed into noodles to make a classic comfort dish into a light, fragrant meal. 

Sweet Potato Noodle Carbonara

• 1 pound sweet potatoes
  • 1 eggs beaten
  • 1 pinch salt
  • 1 pinch ground pepper
  • 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
  • 4 ounces mushrooms
  • 1 cloves garlic minced
  • 3 ounces baby spinach
  • Cheese your choice Parmesan or goat
Lauren Arendt

Boil a large pot of water.

coffee, tea, beer, espresso
    Lauren Arendt

Use your vegetable spiral slicer or julienne, create long strands to produce about six cups of noodles. Using long, skinny sweet potatoes aids this process.

spaghetti, pasta
    Lauren Arendt

Cook the sweet potatoes in the boiling water briefly, stirring only once or twice. Be careful not to overcook and remove just when the potatoes begin to soften.

pasta, vegetable, spaghetti, meat
    Lauren Arendt

Reserve 1/8 cup of the cooking liquid and drain the rest. Return the sweet potatoes to the pot, without heat.

pasta, spaghetti, vegetable, wheat, carrot, macaroni
    Lauren Arendt

Combine the egg, saved cooking water, salt, and pepper in a bowl. Also add 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese if desire at this point. I opted not to do this and used goat cheese at the end. Pour mixture over noodles in pot and gently toss.

egg
    Lauren Arendt

Heat oil in large skillet and cook mushrooms until browned. Add garlic and cook until fragrant. Add spinach and cook until wilted.

Lauren Arendt

Add vegetables to noodles and toss to combine. Top with cracked pepper, cheese of choice, and enjoy!

sauce, vegetable, meat, pasta, cheese
    Lauren Arendt

With a surprisingly quick, easy prep, this sweet potato carbonara makes for a perfect healthy fall staple in a season that seems to be so focused on bulking up.  

The ingredients are also very affordable, making this a great dish to make a big batch of for friends and family. They will be very impressed.