Bread pudding: a mishmash of leftover starch, sugar and cream that unites to create a canvas of infinite flavor possibilities. This recipe combines chocolate with common kitchen pantry ingredients to create an unpretentious dessert, perfect for post-party drunchies or a Friday-night Netflix binge.
Salted Caramel Chocolate Bread Pudding
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 60 minutes
Total Time: 90 minutes
6½ cups bread cubes, about a 1-pound loaf (use hearty bread such as challah, French or brioche for the richest bread pudding)
3 cups half and half
16 ounces semisweet chocolate chips
1½ cups sugar
2 egg yolks
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 teaspoon salt
1. Preheat oven to 350°F and grease 9×13 glass pan with butter.
2. Toast bread cubes on sheet tray until golden brown.
3. Microwave half and half until hot and pour over 8 ounces of chocolate chips in large bowl. Whisk until chocolate is melted.
4. Cool chocolate mixture to room temperature and whisk in all ingredients except bread and remaining chocolate chips.
5. Transfer bread into glass pan and sprinkle remaining chocolate chips.
6. Pour custard over bread, making sure bread is completely immersed.
7. Let stand for at least 30 minutes.
8. Bake for 40-50 minutes, or until custard is no longer liquid.
9. Serve with salted caramel sauce, vanilla ice cream and sea salt crystals for garnish.
Salted Caramel Sauce
1 11-ounce bag caramel candies
½ cup heavy cream
½ teaspoon sea salt or kosher salt
1. Unwrap caramels and place in microwavable bowl with heavy cream and salt.
2. Microwave for 1 minute and stir.
3. Repeat in 30-second intervals, stirring between each interval, until caramel is completely melted and smooth.
Like this? We figured. Why don’t you pin it?