Let me start by saying that I love cauliflower for it’s ability to blend into so many different meals. I’ll stick it in a stew, throw it on a tray of roast vegetables, tuck some into a chickpea and chicken curry, or even sneak it into a simple stir fry. The thing is we never think to let cauliflower do it’s own thing. What are cauliflower’s hopes and aspirations? What if it doesn’t want to be a supporting character in your dinner?

Well I’ve learned that with only a few ingredients you can set a stage for cauliflower to do it’s own thing. This recipe for cauliflower soup is easy to make, ridiculously cheap, and surprisingly tasty. You may want to serve it as a side to something heavier but I find that if you’re looking for a lighter meal this works perfectly.

Cauliflower Soup

• Prep Time:5 minutes
  • Cook Time:30 minutes
  • Total Time:35 minutes

• 1 head of cauliflower
  • 1 white or yellow onion
  • 3-5 cloves of garlic
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 3 cup water
  • Parsley, chopped
  • Olive oil
  • Pepper
Photo by Max Faucher

Break the head of cauliflower into smaller, uniform pieces, slice the onion, and mince the garlic.

In a pot, saute the onion for a few minutes until translucent and then add the garlic for a minute longer.

GIF by Max Faucher

Add the cauliflower, the salt, and one cup of water.

GIF by Max Faucher

Bring the water to a bubble, cover the pot and let the cauliflower cook for 15 minutes.

GIF by Max Faucher

Add two more cups of water, heat until bubbling again, and then remove the pot.

GIF by Max Faucher

In a blender or food processor, puree the soup until smooth. You may have to work in batches. It seems like there is a lot of water but it will get surprisingly thick.

GIF by Max Faucher

Serve the soup topped with chopped parsley, olive oil and cracked pepper. If you need the heat you can go for some hot sauce too.

GIF by Max Faucher