When you date a guy whose mom makes incredible Mexican food, you’re guaranteed to fall in love with him – I mean, it. I was a legitimate taco-hater before, but this enchilada recipe launched me out of that dark place where no fajitas or tostadas were to be found.

This dish is great to make on a Sunday and heat throughout the week, but since it also feeds a ton of people it’s perfect for parties. Every time I make this recipe, I usually double all of the ingredients and make two casseroles because it goes so quickly.

The recipe is super basic, and it’s only marked as “medium” because it can get a little time-consuming. Move over Taco Tuesday, it’s enchilada time.

Enchilada Casserole

• Prep Time:40 minutes
  • Cook Time:40 minutes
  • Total Time:1 hour 20 minutes

• 1 lb. ground beef
  • 1 15-oz. can black beans, drained
  • 2 cup salsa
  • 1/2 packet taco seasoning
  • 1 15-oz. can diced tomatos, drained
  • 16 oz container sour cream
  • 8 large tortillas
  • 16 oz bag shredded Mexican cheese blend

Brown the ground beef in a pan over medium high heat for 15-20 minutes. Mix in about half of the taco seasoning when the meat is almost fully cooked.

Photo Courtesy of Austin Allem

Once the beef is cooked, drain the meat by pouring the excess grease into a mug. Protip: Never pour hot grease down your drain. Put it in a mug instead and dispose of it in your garbage once the liquid hardens.

In a large bowl or pot, combine the cooked beef, black beans, salsa, remaining taco seasoning and diced tomatoes.

Pour some of the sauce into the bottom of a 9 x 13 baking dish.

Place two tortillas on top of the sauce layer.

Using a spatula, smear half the container of sour cream on top of the tortilla layer, and then cover with two more tortillas.

Cover the tortillas with a layer of shredded cheese and then add another layer of sauce.

Continue layering the ingredients (sauce, tortillas, sour cream, tortillas, cheese, sauce, tortillas, sour cream…). Finish with a layer of sauce and then cover with shredded cheese.

Bake covered for 30 minutes at 350°F, then uncovered for 10 minutes. If you double the recipe, you can stick both casseroles in the oven at the same time if you bump the temperature up to 400°F.