We all know how important it is to get enough protein following a tough workout, especially an early morning workout. Research shows that following a sweat session, you should consume a carb and protein rich meal within 30 minutes in order to reap the full benefits of how hard you worked at the gym.

This 30-minute window is pretty small, forcing a lot of people to go straight for the protein shake. However, if you prefer to eat your calories instead of drink them (I’m with ya), then this oatmeal is perfect. With an ideal carb to protein ratio, it provides you everything you need to replenish and keep those gains coming.

Plus, if you’re heading to class or work directly from the gym, this recipe can easily be transformed into overnight oats by simply soaking the oats and protein powder the night before and bringing your toppings in a separate container.

Protein-Packed Oatmeal

• Prep Time:2 minutes
  • Cook Time:2-3 minutes
  • Total Time:5 minutes

• 1/2 cup rolled oats (gluten-free if needed)
  • 1/2 scoop vanilla protein powder (I prefer Vega™ One All-In-One Nutritional Shake)
  • 1 1/4 cup water (or milk of choice)
  • 1 medjool date
  • 1 tablespoon crunchy almond butter (I like Trader Joe's brand)
  • 1/2 banana
  • 1/2 cup berries (frozen or fresh)
  • 1 tablespoon bee pollen (optional)
  • Drizzle of maple syrup (optional)
  • Cinnamon

Mix oats and protein powder in a microwavable bowl.

Photo by Raiselle Swick

Add liquid of choice and microwave for 2 minutes.

Photo by Raiselle Swick

Chop up the medjool date and banana while the oats are cooking.

Photo by Raiselle Swick

Add date pieces to the oatmeal and stir well before microwaving the mixture for another 30 seconds.

Photo by Raiselle Swick

Top with banana, berries, cinnamon, and bee pollen before drizzling almond butter on top. (If using frozen berries, mix those directly into the hot oatmeal so they soften.) Eat up!

Photo by Raiselle Swick