With new hybrid foods like the sushirrito and the ramen burger popping up every day, it was only a matter of time before someone got the genius idea to combine two of our most-beloved sweets – the doughnut and the ice cream cone.

Created at a café in Prague, the doughnut cone brings together the carb-y goodness of a doughnut with the classic ice cream cone to make an epic, edible masterpiece.

Feeling inspired, I set out to make my own DIY version of this dessert, but decided to take it one step further by swapping the doughnut for a flaky-layered, Cronut-inspired pastry, then rolling the whole thing in cinnamon and sugar. You’re welcome.

Cronut Ice Cream Cones

• Prep Time:10 minutes
  • Cook Time:15 minutes
  • Total Time:30 minutes

• 2/3 sheet puff pastry, defrosted according to package instructions
  • 2 waffle-style ice cream cones
  • 1 tablespoon butter, melted
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • 2 teaspoon cinnamon
  • Ice cream
  • Toppings
Photo by Angela Pizzimenti
Photo by Angela Pizzimenti

Step 1

Preheat oven to 400ºF. Line a baking sheet with foil and spray with nonstick cooking spray. Set aside.

Step 2

Starting from the bottom left corner, wrap a square of foil securely around the ice cream cone. Tuck the excess foil inside the cone. Repeat for the other cone.

Photo by Angela Pizzimenti
Photo by Angela Pizzimenti

Step 3

Spray foil cones with nonstick cooking spray.

Photo by Angela Pizzimenti
Photo by Angela Pizzimenti

Step 4

Cut puff pastry sheet into roughly 1/2-inch wide strips.

Photo by Angela Pizzimenti
Photo by Angela Pizzimenti

Step 5

Starting at the pointy end of the cone, wrap the strips of puff pastry around the cone, making sure that they overlap a bit. It will take about three strips to cover a cone, so be sure to press the edges together to adhere the strips to each other. Repeat for second cone.

Photo by Angela Pizzimenti
Photo by Angela Pizzimenti

Step 6

Place sideways on the prepared baking sheet and bake for 15 minutes, or until puffed and golden. Remove from oven and let cool for 5 minutes before removing the foil cone.

Photo by Angela Pizzimenti
Photo by Angela Pizzimenti

Step 7

Mix together cinnamon and sugar on a plate. Brush puff pastry cone with melted butter, then roll in the cinnamon and sugar mixture. Repeat for the remaining cone.

Photo by Angela Pizzimenti
Photo by Angela Pizzimenti

Step 8

Fill with ice cream and desired toppings.

Photo by Angela Pizzimenti
Photo by Angela Pizzimenti