Bacon is basically America's national food. Many eat bacon during breakfast, and there's no shame in eating it for lunch, dinner, or in-between meals. Bacon is such a huge deal in America, but what about for those who choose to not eat it? Can they still satisfy their bacon cravings?
The answer is yes, because we have an awesome coconut bacon recipe that might even be better than the real thing.
- Prep Time:5 mins
- Cook Time:15 mins
- Total Time:20 mins
- 1 cup large unsweetened coconut flakes
- 2 1/2 tablespoons liquid smoke
- 3 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 1/2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- Pinch paprika optional
- Finding large unsweetened coconut shreds are sometimes hard to locate (surprisingly, even in Hawaiʻi) so make sure to call the store in advance to save multiple trips to different grocery stores.
- There are different flavors of liquid smoke; I used Hickory. You can really identify the smokey flavor, so make sure to pick one you like.
- Don't worry if your flakes aren't crispy when they start turning brown. Once you take them out, they will crisp up more.
Voila, you have yourself a healthier plate of "bacon" to satisfy your cravings!