Sweater weather is here and we can finally bid bathing suit season a fond farewell. It also means that it's time we let ourselves indulge in all things comfort food. I would like to formally introduce you the the Molten Lava Mug Cake that will be your best friend this Fall/Winter season.

I found the idea for this recipe when I was craving my favorite dessert (Chilis' Chocolate Molten Lava Cake), but didn’t have the cash, or time, to go out. This recipe is quick to make, and only uses one dish and a microwave. Plus, it doesn’t contain butter or eggs (did you know mashed bananas can replace butter too?), so it’s easy to stock up on the pantry ingredients and snag the rest from a cafeteria before you make it. 

After realizing how simple this is to make, with such delicious results, I have been craving (and eating) one of these mug cakes just about every day. It's the perfect pairing for a cozy night of studying or binge-watching your favorite tv show. 

Chocolate Lava Mug Cake

• 2 1/2 tablespoons flour
  • 2 tablespoons sugar
  • 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
  • 1/8 tsp baking soda
  • 1 pinch salt
  • 3 tablespoons milk your choice
  • 1 tablespoon mashed banana
  • 1/4 teaspoon vanilla
  • 1/8 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
  • Handful chocolate chips

Combine all dry ingredients (flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt) in a microwaveable mug. Mix until well combined.

coffee, milk, tea, espresso, cream
    Danielle Biskner

Add in wet ingredients (milk, mashed banana, vanilla, and apple cider vinegar). Stir until it is well mixed and resembles cake batter.

coffee, espresso, beer, chocolate, stout
    Danielle Biskner

In a microwave safe dish, melt chocolate chips, making sure to stir every 10-15 seconds.

Pour melted chocolate into center of cake batter, and gently cover with surrounding batter so that chocolate is hidden inside.

Microwave mug for 1-1 1/2 minutes. A shorter cook time will result in a fudgier cake, while a longer cook time will make for a spongier cake. And enjoy!

chocolate, coffee, cream, ice, milk, sweet
    Danielle Biskner