The season of every day pool parties and living in a bathing suit is quickly approaching, and although these sure aren’t going to help your bikini bod (trust me, you can’t eat just one), they’re sure to bring out your summertime spirit.
When I think of summer, I think of lying on a beach, drinking out of a coconut, and soaking up the rays. The malibu rum in these cupcakes is sure help you imagine you’re in paradise, just close your eyes long enough, it’ll work.
Tip: use any flavor of malibu rum other than just original for a special twist. Also, don’t go lightly on adding in alcohol. You’ll thank me later.
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 50 minutes
For the cupcakes:
24 cupcake liners
1 box duncan hines classic white cake mix*
3 large eggs*
1 cup water*
¼ cup vegetable oil*
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 teaspoons malibu rum
For the frosting:
14 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 teaspoon vanilla
¼ cup milk
¼ cup malibu rum
8 cups powdered sugar
Blue food coloring (optional)
Pineapples for topping (optional)
*If you use a different brand of cake mix, prepare using ingredients and instructions on box, and bake for amount of time as indicated on mix.
1. Preheat oven to 350°F and line 2 cupcake pans for 24 cupcakes.
2. Mix cake mix, eggs, water, and vegetable oil together using instructions on box in a medium bowl.*
3. Once combined, stir in vanilla and malibu rum.
4. Scoop batter into lined cupcake pans to fill about ¾ of the way.
5. Bake for 18 minutes, or according to instructions on mix.*
6. Take a shot.
7. To prepare frosting, soften butter to room temperature, place in a large bowl, add vanilla and mix for 1 minute.
8. Turn speed on mixer to low, slowly add milk and malibu rum to butter mixture.
9. Add powdered sugar one cup at a time until desired consistency.
10. If desired, add food coloring to frosting.
11. Once cupcakes are cool, frost cupcakes, and top with a chunk of pineapple (optional).
12. Enjoy your Malibu Rum cupcakes without reserve.
Try more sweet recipes: