You know those little white pieces of heaven you see next to the crushed Oreo at every froyo chain?! Mochi balls…aka chewy, closest-thing-to-marshmallow, adorable balls of love.  Essentially five ingredients, one being water, and once they are made can be transformed into anything your heart desires. Green tea mochi mmmm.

Have a mochi makin’ party and make some pillowy mochi delights. Mochi mondays? And then you can use emojis while eating your mochi. Too far..

DIY Mochi Balls

• Prep Time:10 minutes
  • Cook Time:60 minutes
  • Total Time:70 minutes
  • Servings:5-6

• 1 cup mochiko flour
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1 cup water
  • 1/2 can of coconut milk
  • Potato starch
Photo by Maddie Cole
Photo by Maddie Cole

Step 1

Preheat oven to 275°F. Grease a 9×13 glass baking dish or line it with parchment paper.

Step 2

In a large bowl, whisk together the mochiko, sugar, and baking powder. In a separate bowl, whisk together the water and coconut milk.

GIF by Maddie Cole
GIF by Maddie Cole

Step 3

Add the wet ingredients to the dry and whisk until the mixture is smooth and no lumps remain.

GIF by Maddie Cole
GIF by Maddie Cole

Step 4

Unlike most baking, you don’t need to worry about overmixing the ingredients, since mochi is dense and chewy to begin with.

Step 5

Pour the mixture into your lined baking dish. Cover tightly with foil and bake for 60 minutes.

GIF by Maddie Cole
GIF by Maddie Cole

Step 6

The mochi is done when it’s soft and gelatinous but holds its shape when touched.

Step 7

Let cool completely. Dust a surface with your starch and turn the mochi onto the surface. Sprinkle starch over the mochi.

GIF by Maddie Cole
GIF by Maddie Cole

Step 8

Dust knife in starch flour then cut the mochi into small pieces, dust again with starch or flour, and serve!

GIF by Maddie Cole
GIF by Maddie Cole