White Castle began in 1921 selling burgers for five cents each. Those burgers came to be called “sliders” because they were so easy to eat. The recipe has been altered since the original recipe used fresh onions and a round patty. Now, White Castle uses a frozen square patty and rehydrated onions. The iconic five holes ensure the burger cooks through without needing to be flipped. However, some things haven’t changed, like the dill pickle on the bottom and no condiments unless the customer adds them themselves.

This copycat recipe combines the fresh ingredients of the original method with the iconic square patty of the past 60 years. They warm your heart, fill your stomach, and make you go back for more.

Copycat White Castle Sliders

• Prep Time:15 minutes
  • Cook Time:15 minutes
  • Total Time:30 minutes
  • Servings:16 sliders

• 1 package 16 hamburger buns
  • 1 lb ground chuck
  • 1 Vidalia onion
  • Beef broth
  • 8 slices mild cheddar or American cheese
  • 16 hamburger dill slices
  • Salt
  • Pepper
Photo by Jennifer Nigro

Chop the Vidalia onion.

#SpoonTip: Refrigerate the onion first. It will reduce the eye-burn.

Gif by Jennifer Nigro

Pour about a quarter inch of beef broth into a large pan and add the onions. Add salt and pepper to taste and cook at medium heat until the broth boils off.

Gif by Jennifer Nigro

Press and spread the chuck until it’s a large rectangle, around 10×15 inches.

Gif by Jennifer Nigro

Cut the meat into 16 equal rectangles and poke 5 holes in each patty. Sprinkle salt and pepper to season.

Gif by Jennifer Nigro

Heat a griddle to 400°F and spread the onions. Put the patties on the griddle and cook until about halfway done, then flip them.

Gif by Jennifer Nigro

After the patties are flipped, add cheese and let them cook until the cheese it fully melted and the meat is thoroughly cooked.

Gif by Jennifer Nigro

Cut the sides off the buns and place a dill pickle slice on the bottom bun. Top with a patty, condiments (optional), and the top bun.

Gif by Jennifer Nigro

Enjoy!

Gif by Jennifer Nigro