It’s no secret that university is hard. You have a seemingly never-ending pile of school work, a group of friends you’re always meaning to see more of and on top of everything you need to cook and clean for yourself. The idea of being healthy in the midst of all this sounds like a joke. There’s just no time to squeeze in workouts or meal prep Sundays when you have a million other things to prioritize. This seed bread recipe makes healthy college life just a little bit easier.

The majority of the time this bread takes is in the oven, which does not require your undivided attention. Plus, once made this seed bread is a quick protein and nutrient packed meal. I love it for avocado toast but you can really use it as a base for anything or on its own. The best part is that with the exception of the flours any of these ingredients can be substituted. If you prefer nuts over seeds or just have a different variety of seeds in the house, use that. Toss in whatever you like. Gluten free, vegan, and delicious.

Seed Bread

• Prep Time:10 minutes
  • Cook Time:25 minutes
  • Total Time:35 minutes
  • Servings:3-4

• 1/2 cup chia seeds
  • 1/2 cup sunflower seeds
  • 1/2 cup pumpkin seeds
  • 1/2 cup oats flour (I used gluten free oat flour)
  • 1/4 cup buckwheat flour
  • 1 teaspoon dried oregano
  • 1 teaspoon sugar
  • 1/2 tablespoon dried thyme
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
  • 1 cup water
Photo by Natalie Pressman

Preheat oven to 325F and line a baking pan parchment paper.

Mix all dry ingredients in a large bowl.

Photo by Natalie Pressman

Stir in water and mix until combined. The mixture will be watery at first, but it thickens up quickly.

Photo by Natalie Pressman

Scoop mixture into the pan and spread it evenly with a spatula or a fork as thin or as thick as you like.

Photo by Natalie Pressman

Bake at 325F for about 25 minutes and let cool in the pan for 5 minutes.

Slice and enjoy.

Photo by Natalie Pressman