For many, the mantra ‘Breakfast of Champions’ beckons visions of bright orange cereal boxes plastered with images of legendary athletes.  Even the bold nature of the text itself on each Wheaties box seems to reassure consumers that a bowl of bran flakes has the power to transform sluggish teenagers into heroic champions.

But what if I told you that you could have a bigger, better, more delicious Breakfast of Champions, one that is protein-rich, made of clean, whole ingredients and full of flavor? Move over, Wheaties…. this waffle recipe is bound to be the next Breakfast of Champions.  

Waffle

Photo by Danielle Cahoon

Perfecting a batch of baked goods can be a bit messy without the sticky consistency of eggs to hold everything together.  As a vegan baker, I’ve experimented with measurements, exotic ingredients, and various temperatures to create a product worthy of taste buds. After discarding too many failed recipes, I found my answer… chia seeds.

Not only have chia seeds been deemed an energizing ‘superfood,’ they are rich in satisfying fiber, brain nurturing omega-3s, and bone strengthening calcium, making them the perfect component of a nutritious breakfast. The hydrophilic seeds are able to absorb more than 12 times their size in liquid and can be mixed with almond milk or water to create a vegan baking egg-substitute. This recipe incorporates 1 whole cup of chia seed pudding, which should be made at least 2 hours before you plan to eat your waffles. I recommend making it the night before and leaving it in your refrigerator to settle.

Medium

Prep time: 20-30 minutes
Cook Time: 3 minutes per waffle (30 minutes total)
Total Time: 1 hour

Servings: 10 large waffles

16-oz. can (2 cups) pureed pumpkin
1 cup unsweetened applesauce
1 cup chia seed pudding
3 tablespoons flax seeds
2 tablespoons melted coconut oil
2 cups almond milk
2 tablespoons baking powder
2 cups Bob’s Red Mill GF Flour
1 cup Bob’s Red Mill GF Rolled Oats
2 tablespoons vanilla extract
1 scoop Vega Vanilla Protein Powder
Cooking spray
Cinnamon
Berries
Pomegranate Seeds

Directions:

1. Prepare chia seed pudding at least 2 hours in advance by mixing 1/2 cup chia seeds with 1 cup almond milk.

Waffle

Photo by Danielle Cahoon

2. Turn on your waffle maker to pre-heat and grease it with cooking spray.

3. Combine pumpkin, applesauce, oats, almond milk, cinnamon, coconut oil, vanilla, baking powder and protein powder (optional) in a large bowl.  Mix until smooth.

Waffle

Photo by Danielle Cahoon

4. Gradually add flax seeds, flour and chia seed pudding.  Mix thoroughly between each addition.

Waffle

Photo by Danielle Cahoon

5. Let the mixture settle for 10 – 20 minutes to allow the chia seeds to absorb the mixture and become better binding agents. Add water or almond milk if the mixture seems too thick, or flour if the mixture seems too thin.

Waffle

Photo by Danielle Cahoon

6. Pour a large spoonful of batter onto your waffle maker.  Give each waffle 3 – 5 minutes of cooking time and continue to mix the batter until it has all been used.

7. Decorate your waffles with berries, pomegranates, cinnamon, cacao nibs… you name it.

Waffle

Photo by Danielle Cahoon

8. Prepare to feel fully satisfied, energized, and ready to conquer the world.

9. Dig in.

Waffle

Photo by Danielle Cahoon

Check out these articles for more healthy breakfast ideas: