They say that breakfast is the most important part of your day. It’s what gets you going. But sometimes it’s hard to wake up for breakfast on a Saturday morning and we feel your pain. So instead, I propose the perfect brunch alternative – the lazy egg and cheese bread bowl.
This is the kind of brunch that makes hangovers run in fear. It’s chock full of all the good stuff to kick start your late start. It’s all edible, so no dish washing necessary. And if that wasn’t good enough, the best part is that you can customize it. I used broccoli, but who’s to say you can’t use mushrooms, bacon, spinach or any other classic omelette filling? You could even make it seasonal with some apple or pumpkin seeds.
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 20-30 minutes
Total Time: 25-35 minutes
1 crusty bread roll
Large handful chopped fillers (broccoli, tomato, mushroom, etc)
1 tablespoon of cream
1 small handful of shredded Gruyere
Sprinkle of thyme
- Pre-heat oven to 390°F.
- Cut off the top of the roll and scoop out excess bread.
- Chop up your fillings into small pieces.
- Put cheese and toppings into your newly crafted bread bowl.
- Crack your egg into the bread bowl. Try not to break the yolk.
- Pour the cream over the egg.
- Sprinkle the thyme into the bowl.
- Fill cheese and extra fillings to the top.
- Cover your bowl with the top of the bread and wrap it in tin foil.
- Bake in oven for 20-30 minutes depending on how you like your egg: 20 minutes if you want a runny yolk, 25 minutes if you prefer a soft yolk or 30 minutes if you want a fully cooked egg.
- Once you’ve removed your bowl from the foil, sprinkle the inside with salt and pepper.
- Dig in!
Like this? We figured. Why don’t you pin it?